VMware Cloud Community
vmtechie
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading V.C. 2 to V.C. 2.5

We have ESX 3.02 and VC2 we just purchased ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 with three server that we bought. Is it a difficult task to upgrade VC 2 to VC 2.5 and do I have to create another DB on SQL 2005 for update manager "the new plugin with VC 2.5?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The upgrade of the VC database can be problematic. Take a close read through the release notes. Some additional reading here - http://www.vmware-land.com/Vmware_Links.html#VI35. What are you currently using for SQL Server for the VC database, are you using SQL authenication and have a seperate database (i.e. not using the master db)? You can use the same DB for the VC objects and the update manager tables.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

How large is your environment?

How important is historical performance data?

How many other upgrades have you done on this VC server?

If your environment is small (10 to 20 hosts maybe 100 to 200 VMs), do a fresh install with a new DB. I tried an upgrade and it just didn't work. I created a new server and a fresh DB and it went much better. Now, my issues may have been because the VC server was 1.0 then upgraded to 1.5 then 2, then 2.5 or something like that.

I created a new VM with 2.5 while keeping the old one up and running. Maybe that's a license violation ...... sorry Vmware. I suppose I could call it "Running one of them in evaluation mode" for about a week. Anyway, I just migrated hosts from one to the other. I could refer back to the old server when configuring resource pools and things like that,

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

During VC 2.5 upgrade, it has an option to keep existing data and make sure you check it before proceed. I would create additional database "VCUM" and have same permissions set for "VMware VirtualCenter" database and credentials and create DSN pointed to it via OBDC and than install through the wizard its very simple but like Dave mentioned, it could be problematic if you don't plan it out and always do a backup of database before performing any installation. RTFM website has a great guide how he experience his upgrade process and you can check them out.

ejward, has mentioned put VC in a VM is a great idea and saves you from a physical server and also provide redundancy if your ESX cluster has HA and VMotion features in placed. Might have issue with VMware licensing agreement Smiley Sad

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Brian_Wing
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the same boat here. What utilities do you use to 'backup' this database on the VC? Also, we have all of our licensing running on this system. Are there any known issues with licensing both 3.0.2 and 3.5 systems at the same time?

I've tested upgrading one 3.0.2 system to 3.5 and it doesn't appear to have any issues except that I can't see it from the older VI client.

Thanks

Brian Wing

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can download SQL 2005 Management Studio Express on google and use it to manage your database.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Brian_Wing
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

Any downtime if I use the "backup" function of studio manager to backup the VCDB?

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No a default backup in sql 2005 leaves the DB online. There will be no downtime.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

There is no problems when you're doing SQL backup at all but if in a large environment where you have GB/TB of size, man it takes so long to do general backup that will of course see little bit performance hit but other than that your SQL backup procedure is simple and quick. Make sure to backup both your database and transaction logs too.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

0 Kudos