VMware Cloud Community
gavinfitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading ESX from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2

Does any body have any tips on how to best approach this?

I do not have alot of Linux as of yet

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dawho9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Download the ISO, burn it to CD and upgrade from the CD. Its by far the easiest way to upgrade. Although not necessary, I disconnected the HBA from the SAN during the upgrade but it always a good way to do it.

Richard

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
dawho9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Download the ISO, burn it to CD and upgrade from the CD. Its by far the easiest way to upgrade. Although not necessary, I disconnected the HBA from the SAN during the upgrade but it always a good way to do it.

Richard

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Read the upgrade document.

write the hostnames in /etc/hosts in lower case

create the /tmp/vmware-root folder

and there are some issues about the database (look in the upgrade doku)

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
dawho9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remember to upgrade Virtual Center first.

BrettGGardner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgive my ignorance, but where do I find the upgrade document? My VM setup was done by a consultant and I have not performed an upgrade before, so I want to make sure that I do it correctly. Thanks.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
BrettGGardner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I followed your link and ended up on a page where I found a PDF called vi3_installation_gide. This PDF has the same date revision (20060925) as the Installation and Upgrade Guide manual that came with my orginal CDs. Does this mean that I should just use the Installation and Upgrade manual that I have and follow the instructions in the chapter titled "Planning a VMware Infrastructure Upgrade"? If I ended up on an incorrect page, please let me know.

I appreciate any advice and aplologize for the novice questions.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe these guides cover all 3.x versions. Any changes would more than likely end up on the specific version readme files.

0 Kudos
BrettGGardner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I'll read the chapters on upgrading.

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

i give to links more. I Think this pages are to up2date

VCenter

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/releasenotes_vc202.html

Vi3

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/releasenotes_esx302.html

You can see there th enewest Infos about upgrade procedure.

Nautilus

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
BrettGGardner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the links. This looks like it will be helpful.

0 Kudos
Bwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Inplace upgrades always scare me. Now matter how well the process is documented things can and often do go wrong. Backup your virtual machines before any upgrades are attempted. Also if possible you should try to VMotion off of the server that is going to be worked on.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos