VMware Cloud Community
cliess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgraded from VC 2.0.2 to 2.5..settings were not preserved.. any idea what happened?

Hi folks -

Using the official VMware upgrade documentation and the RTFM upgrade guide, I upgraded my test VC 2.0.2 server to 2.5. Everything went exactly as the documentation said it would, screen-for-screen, but unfortunately, once I fired up the client, my two test ESX servers were no longer in my inventory and I had to re-add them.

Any ideas on where I could have gone wrong? When I ultimately upgrade production, I do NOT want to lose my configuration and especially my historal performance data.

For those wondering, the database is SQL 2000 w/ SP4 and it resides on the same machine as VC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Craig

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There's an extensive thread going here about people who have lost data during the upgrade process: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/117075?tstart=0

You may find your answer there. It seems the upgrade process isn't yet quite as smooth as it could be.

avarcher
Commander
Commander

Did you select to keep your exiting database? Did you backup your database before upgrade? You may have overwritten your database with a new one inadvertantly.

0 Kudos
cliess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Absolutely selected to upgrade my existing database, no question about that!

-Craig

0 Kudos
cliess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like a wealth of info in that link, thank you.. will give it a look.

I'll probably end up reinstalling 2.0.2 in test and trying the upgrade again.. it should NOT be this difficult or confusing to retain your existing data! I never had this issue moving from 1.3.1 to 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 to 2.0.2.....

Thanks again!

-Craig

0 Kudos