VMware Cloud Community
Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade ESX 3.01 to 3.5, some simple questions.

Hi everyone,

We currently have 12 ESX servers which are running version 3.01 and Virtual Center version 2. We now want to test Windows 2008 and i run into a lot of problems using version 3.01 as the host so i'm thinking about upgrading everything.

A few simple questions:

- Do you all recommend upgrading? Or should i do a clean install?

- Does Virtual Center needs to be upgraded to version 2.5 first?

- If upgrading from 3.01 to 3.5 is an option; will all the attached storage volumes stay untouched and will the VM's be able to launch on 3.01 aswell as on 3.5?

Best Regards and many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

• Do you all recommend upgrading? Or should i do a clean install?

I prefer clean install - however upgrade is an option. If possible, do the clean install.

• Does Virtual Center needs to be upgraded to version 2.5 first?

Yes ESX 3.5 is only supported with VC 2.5 - VC 2.5 Update 1

• If upgrading from 3.01 to 3.5 is an option; will all the attached storage volumes stay untouched and will the VM's be able to launch on 3.01 aswell as on 3.5?

Yes

I also recommend upgrading your license server.

All the best.

Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

Some other questions:

- Will ESX 3.5 also change things in the current VM's?

- Will VMotion be possible between 3.01 hosts and 3.5?

Thanks for your quick reply!

0 Kudos
Nautilus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

• Will ESX 3.5 also change things in the current VM's?

• --> you can/should install VMware tools and this changes the VM

• Will VMotion be possible between 3.01 hosts and 3.5?

• --> yes its possible

Kind regards

Nautilus

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind regards Nautilus ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the Installation and Upgrade forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
jonw757
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys I had the same questions also!

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), all hosts should be at 3.5 Update 1 before updating VMWare tools. I never really got a good explaaination for this other than "do it that way".

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), all hosts should be at 3.5 Update 1 before updating VMWare tools. I never really got a good explaination for this other than "do it that way".

0 Kudos