VMware Cloud Community
saschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade ESX 3.0.x to ESX 3.5.x

Hi,

I've several ESX-Server with ESX 3.0.x installed. Now, I'd like to upgrade them to 3.5 Update 1. The problem is, that I cannot find a .tar.gz package with all rpms for this upgrade process. I only found a package for 2.x to 3.5.x.

Someone has a hint for me where to find these packages?

Greets

Sascha

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bggb29
Expert
Expert

I an others have had issues with the tarballs. I would download the iso and build from scratch using the cd.

We prefer scratch builds. Typically we run into issues with at least 1 server doing upgrades.

How many servers are you upgrading

0 Kudos
saschmidt
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to update 10 servers... I'm updating them via a remote connection. The problem is that I do not have remote management on all servers (drive redirection / remote console).

So I prefer an upgrade wihin the ssh-session (console)...

Greets

Sascha

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

From the Vmware download site you can download a TAR as well as a zip file ocntain the information you need for a remote upgrade -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
benwayj
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same question the download site only list three packages:

ESX Server 3.5 Update 1 CD image

Upgrade package from ESX Server 2.x to ESX Server 3.5 Update 1

Upgrade package from ESX Server 3.5 to ESX Server 3.5 Update 1

Since I'm running 3.02 and want to do an inplace upgrade, none of these seem to fit.

Thanks,jb

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You should confirm with VMware folks, but I'm assuming that .tar is supported from ESX 2.x above to ESX 3.5 Update 1. I wish it could stated clearer!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

The last filename I've downloaded was ESX 3.x to ESX 3.5 which is outdated.

VMware-esx-upgrade-from-esx3-3.5.0-64607.zip

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
benwayj
Contributor
Contributor

This is the responce I got from support:

Let me copy a paragraph that is part of the ESX Server 3.5 U1 release notes:

"Upgrading ESX Server software from ESX Server 3.0.X to ESX Server 3.5 Update 1 using a . zip file upgrade is not supported. Limitations in the esxupdate utility currently prevent such upgrades. To upgrade ESX Server software versions in the 3.0.X series using .zip upgrade files, first upgrade the software from version 3.0.X to 3.5 and then upgrade the version 3.5 installation to Update 1. See the knowledge base article 'ESX Server 3.5.0 Might Require Manual RPM Installation After Upgrading from ESX Server 3.0.1 or 3.0.2' before using this method to upgrade existing software installations. Upgrades using ISO-based installation methods, such as installing from a CD, are not affected by this limitation and will occur normally."

0 Kudos