VMware Cloud Community
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Updating from 3.01 to 3.0.2

We are about to upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2. I have been running patches on 3.0.1, but I am behind by a few. Do I need to run the remaining 3.0.1 patches before upgrading to version 3.0.2? Also, how do I upgrade to 3.0.2? We currently have 2 servers, but we are about to add a 3rd. Which should I do first... add the 3rd server as 3.0.2 or upgrade the first 2 servers to 3.0.2?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Nope, you can upgrade to esx 3.0.2 from whatever patch level you are on. I think we were missing the last two sets of 3.0.1 patches and it upgraded fine.

You can upgrade in whatever order you want. 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 can exist together in a cluster quite happily. If i were you, i would get the new host up to 3.0.2 along with all the latest patches, add it in to your cluster and then upgrade the other two by placing them in maintenance mode. (this is all assuming you have a cluster!)

James

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Nope, you can upgrade to esx 3.0.2 from whatever patch level you are on. I think we were missing the last two sets of 3.0.1 patches and it upgraded fine.

You can upgrade in whatever order you want. 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 can exist together in a cluster quite happily. If i were you, i would get the new host up to 3.0.2 along with all the latest patches, add it in to your cluster and then upgrade the other two by placing them in maintenance mode. (this is all assuming you have a cluster!)

James

0 Kudos
BPL5000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks James, but how do I perform the upgrade? Is it something I can script like patches, or do I need to boot from a CD to do the upgrade?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out these links, the first has a step-by-step, the others cover issues when upgrading. Also if you have VC make sure you upgrade to VC 2.0.2 first, 2.0.1 does not support 3.0.2

ESX 3.x upgrade to 3.0.2 for dummies -

3.0.2 upgrade threads - and

Upgrading from VC 2.0.x to VC 2.0.2 and ESX 3.0.x to 3.0.2 -

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Download latest 3.0.2 binary files and upload to your ESX hosts /tmp folder and run the following command.

tar -xvzf esx-upgrade-from-esx3-3.0.2-52542.tar.gz

Change to the 52542 directory and issue command

esxupdate -n update

Wait to finish upgrade and than download 9 other 3.0.2 patches and follow same procedures:

complete steps:

1. Enter Maintenance Mode

2. Wait for VM Migration completion

3. Execute esxupdate -n update command

4. Wait for successful installed message.

5. Issue reboot command to reboot the server

6. Exit maintenance mode.

7. Logon to VMs and upgrade VM tools. (require reboot)

Use VMTS Patch Manager is a great tools to use. for more details.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA