VMware Cloud Community
mcdmagix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager and Vi3 Foundation

Hi Everyone

I've recently upgraded from ESX 3.0.1 Starter to ESX 3.5 Foundation... VMware lists that there is a new update manager included as part of Vi3 Foundation.

I've got Foundation & I don't have a Virtual Centre server.

How do I go about using the update manager? When I upgraded to the new VI Client it also installed a program named VMware Infrastructure Update, however when I try to check my host, it states that it cannot manage my host.

My VI Client has a tool option named Plugins, though there is nothing listed on either the Available or Installed tabs.

Any help on getting this working would be great. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe the infrastructure update is specifically for 3i esx servers, but I may be wrong. You will need virtual center to use Update Manager, as it also uses a db backend to store patch metadata, and to schedule and run the scan/patch routines. Did the foundation license not give you access to a virtual center as well?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update Manager is two parts - the server-side software and the client-side software for controlling it. You need both to use Update Manager.

The server-side software is found in the VirtualCenter install files and needs VirtualCenter to function.

The client-side software is a plugin for the VI Client which can be downloaded through the VI Client when you connect the VI Client to VirtualCenter.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe the infrastructure update is specifically for 3i esx servers, but I may be wrong. You will need virtual center to use Update Manager, as it also uses a db backend to store patch metadata, and to schedule and run the scan/patch routines. Did the foundation license not give you access to a virtual center as well?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
adhodgson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

We have the same problem. We purchased Foundation (though I wished now we had just gone with the ESXI free version) for a proof of concept project. I would like to upgrade the Vmware host, but only have the infrastructure update available (which I believe only works with ESXI), and when I try to download Virtual Centre, I am told I am not allowed to do this. I only want to upgrade the Vmware host itself, not any of the guest operating systems. A full database backend for this is a bit ott.

Thanks.

Andrew.

0 Kudos