VMware Cloud Community
dontorino
Contributor
Contributor

Update ESX 3.01 Build 42829 to ESX 3.5

Hello,

we plan to update our ESX 3.01 Server to the version ESX 3.5 after reading the forum and best practice documents there are still some open questions .

First some more information about our ESX-Farm. We have 4 Hosts ESX 3.01Hosts (DL380 G5) and one Virtual Center Server 2.5 (DL360 G5) connected to an IBM DS8100 running 21 virtual Servers.

1] In many threads people say it´s recommended to remove the storage adapters before upgrading even if you are still running vmfs3. What is the reason for this?

2] Is it possible to do a step by step update as an example first updating one Host than migrate the virtual Guests to the updatet host and than updating the next host and so on...?

Sub Questiin: Is VMotion from a 3.01 host to a 3.5 host possible?

3] What is the reason that many people say never do an update do a fresh install. I read something about trouble with the vpxa Agent. Would be nice if someone can post some reasons Smiley Happy

4] Is it possible to run a 3.01 host and 3.5 host in the same cluster?

My english is not so good i hope you can understand the pointed tasks Smiley Happy

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1] In many threads people say it´s recommended to remove the storage adapters before upgrading even if you are still running vmfs3. What is the reason for this?

E.G If you select your SAN volume to install some of the OS partitions you will wipe your VMFS volume that contains your VM's

2] Is it possible to do a step by step update as an example first updating one Host than migrate the virtual Guests to the updatet host and than updating the next host and so on...?

Yes - however upgrade your license server and Virtual Center to the latest version first - VC 2.5 Update 1

Sub Questiin: Is VMotion from a 3.01 host to a 3.5 host possible?

Haven't tried

3] What is the reason that many people say never do an update do a fresh install. I read something about trouble with the vpxa Agent. Would be nice if someone can post some reasons Smiley Happy

It's a clean install - nothing is upgraded. Compare it to upgrading Windows XP to Windows Vista

4] Is it possible to run a 3.01 host and 3.5 host in the same cluster?

Yes

My english is not so good i hope you can understand the pointed tasks Smiley Happy

Sure can :smileygrin:

Message was edited by: java_cat33

0 Kudos