VMware Cloud Community
analyst7
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to move virtual machines to a New Folder once migrated to vi3

Environment: I'm migrating from 2.5.3 > vi3.01

Due to issues with esxRanger after upgrading the database I've decided to create a new database from scratch on the 3.01 side since I only have 5 hosts and 12 Virtual Machine Groups on the 2.5.x environment.

I then Removed the 2.5.x host from the 2.5.x database and added it as a new host on the vi3 environment. Under Host and Clusters I want to create a New Folder to match the Virtual Machine Groups folders I had in 2.5.x. Once I create a new folder on vi3 I am unable to move a virtual machine from either the 2.5.3 or vi3 host to these new folders??

I've upgrade the virtual hardware as well as updated the vmtools and still no luck?? What am I missing?

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There are 2 kinds of folders depending on the view you select in VirtualCenter 2.x.

1. Hosts & Clusters. Folders logically group hosts and clusters. VMs appear under hosts or resource pools.

2. VMs & Templates. Folders logically group VMs and templates.

The two folder types do not have anything to do with each other. The VM groups you had in VirtualCenter 1.x map to the VM & Templates view.

0 Kudos
kerberos451
Contributor
Contributor

you rock...i was thinking i was dumb as to why i couldnt move VMs into a folder....turns out it was the wrong kind of folder (was in hosts and clusters view)

0 Kudos