VMware Cloud Community
Eliot_Hatton
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to extend virtual disk via the VI - esx3.5

Hi guys.

Just a quick one, we have several server 2003 vm's on a standalone ESX 3.5 server - one in particular is causing us some grief while trying to extend the Hard Disk via edit settings.

Just to step through - I've shut down the VM in question, edited the settings, defined a new disk size, hit OK, the change applies successfully according to the VI client, however when returning to the settings pane it doesnt reflect the size change... very odd. no errors.

any ideas?

Cheers. Eliot.

update - rebooting the ESX host hasnt resolved the issue. Although I've just noticed some snapshots attached to the VM, i'll delete them and try again..

update - removing the snapshots fixed the problem. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
1 Reply
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

If you want to increase the hard drives on a VM, it has two options for C: system drive and D:\ data drives. You can use vmkfstool -X command to extend the data drives but you have to use 3rd party image tool to extend the C system drive. You can easily do this using VMware Converter to increase the system drive on windows guests.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos