VMware Cloud Community
gmreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to browse vmdk files

Hi,

Recently I have created a VM through p2v, after that I am trying to create a new VM using the existing p2v vmdk file, but I am unable to view the vmdk files while browsing to choose the vmdk file. What could be the problem?

I can view the same vmdk files, if I browse the data store.

GMR.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure what you mean when you say you are browsing to choose the vmdk file. If you want to clone a vm, then you go to the ESX host or VC that the vm was created on, right click and select clone.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

If you used the old VMware P2v or the newer Converter, then your VM should already be creatd and visible in the VIC, so you shouldn't need to browse any files. But, if you did your "p2v" through a 3rd party applicatino, like Acronis then you need to use the VMware Converter tool bring the VM into the VIC. Assuming your using Virtual Center 2.5, you'll need to make sure the Converter plugin is installe and enabled. After that, just right click on a the ESX host, and choose Import Machine. When prompted for the source machine, choose other, then click Next. You should now see a link for supported file types. If you click this, you'll see a list of supported file types.