VMware Cloud Community
FKI-Shudak
Contributor
Contributor

USB over ethernet device recommendations??

I have begun to research USB over ethernet devices in order to host license dongles, and other USB devices for multiple virtual machines. I am hoping to find a USB over ethernet device that has multiple ports that can be assigned to multiple guests. I wish to have this solution to be sure all guests are vMotion compliant. Can anyone recommend a multi-port device they are using to accomplish this task?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert

USBanywhere is what you want. As far as the VM is concerned the device is attached locally, but infact it is attached to the network. This allows vMotion and HA failover to other ESX servers.

http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp

And the white paper on ESX and USBanywhere http://www.digi.com/pdf/wp_ESXServer_AnywhereUSB.pdf

Andy, VMware Certified Professional / VMware vExpert Award 2009

Help, Guides and How Tos

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos
FKI-Shudak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, and they were the first I looked at, however they can only host the USB ports to a single guest. I was hoping for a solution where one 4-port USB over IP device could host different ports to different guests.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

this is possible with a keyspan device www.keyspan.com

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
PCECI
Contributor
Contributor

Take a look at the Belkin Network USB Hub.

http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

0 Kudos
FKI-Shudak
Contributor
Contributor

I just spoke with Belkin, and the Ethernet USB hub is only able to make connections to one VM......Checking on the keyspan next. I may be asking for something not attainable at this point, but it's worth trying!

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

dude....this IS POSSIBLE with the keyspan device like i already posted.

chandlm
Expert
Expert

Absolutely, the Keyspan device works great for this. I'll second the recommendation as I've used it before and it worked without any issues for me.

FKI-Shudak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response, I went out of order from the posts, and started at the bottom calling vendors. Put quote requests in for the Keyspan...Can't wait to try it now!

0 Kudos
lhus1843
Contributor
Contributor

After looking for a solution for over 3 years I have been using this software for about 6 months now. It is very easy to setup and supports multiple hosts concurrently. I am very pleased and have tried most of the other solutions and have found this one to be the best. I currently have 12 Security HASPs shared to 12 different VM's using this software and haven't touched the PC hosting the software in over 6 months. When I do have to reboot for patches, updates, etc all of my servers reconnect to their HASPs without issue. Give it a try.

0 Kudos
it_yoyo
Contributor
Contributor

Which device are you using from keyspan - site goes to TrippLite now. This is the one I found

Model #: U2S-2A

0 Kudos
luminous00
Contributor
Contributor

Has anybody tested this with their 4-port USB Device Server? It's not USB 2.0, but I wouldn't think it would need 2.0 as they're only USB license dongles. We have like 7 license dongles and the model you're saying works is only a 2-port for $150. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
TrenchAustria
Contributor
Contributor

The Belkin Network USB Hub has 5 built-in USB Ports and it's possible to use up to 15 USB devices with additional multi-port USB Hub(s).

0 Kudos