VMware Cloud Community
MUCHAJ
Contributor
Contributor

UMDS is redownloading all host updates

Hi there,

I am hoping someone might have experienced or knows why UMDS might be downloading all host updates every time I run "vmware-umds.exe -D"

Its a pain because it takes ages to download them and it keeps blowing my internet download limit!

The PC is a Dell workstation with Windows XP SP3. It is directly connected to the internet (no proxy etc) and I have installed the latest release of UMDS from the vCentre 2.5 update 4 download. I am using the local install of SQL Express 2005.

If anyone can offer some suggestions of what to look for it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hollandwl
Contributor
Contributor

The -D switch tells it to download, the -R coupled with -s and -t switches tell it to re-download between a certain date range... well, at least it's supposed to, but it doesn't work.

UMDS needs a major overhaul to:

1. Let me choose which versions to download patches for. I don't have, never have had, and never will have ESX 3.0, so why should I download those patches. There should be a config file setting to set the versions you want something akin to: Vesions=35,40

2. Rather than downloading everything or specifying a date range to re-download:

• Download a listing of available patches for the versions I have specified

• Compare that listing to what is in my local repository

• Download only the differences

3. Provide a way to cleanup a repository to remove patches that are no longer needed.

It cannot be good for VMware to have everyone repeatedly downloading multiple gigabytes of patches from them all the time.

0 Kudos