VMware Cloud Community
cmarkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to start a build of Windows guest OS via a .iso file

I can't seem to boot to the .iso file for a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise install I'm trying to accomplish. I know the .iso image is good, as I have used it elsewhere. As far as the virtual machine settings are concerned I have the CD/DVD mapped to a "Datastore ISO file" and browse out to the file to select it. I have checked the boot sequence in the BIOS, which is set to CD-ROM first, Network boot, Removable Devices, and Hard Drive.

This is a Dell PowerEdge R200 host.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hmmm, it looks like the ISO is located on an NFS share. Could you move the ISO to a local datastore and retry the connection? I'm not 100% sure but the NFS share may not be able to connect until after the VM is booted into an OS. Moving the ISO to a local datastore would confirm that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are the 'connected' and 'connect at boot' options checked in the CD/ROM settings for the VM? If not the boot sequence will go straight to network boot.

0 Kudos
cmarkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Connect at power on" is checked, the "Connected" radio button is greyed out. I attached a doc that illustrates what my CD/DVD setting currenlty look like.

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hmmm, it looks like the ISO is located on an NFS share. Could you move the ISO to a local datastore and retry the connection? I'm not 100% sure but the NFS share may not be able to connect until after the VM is booted into an OS. Moving the ISO to a local datastore would confirm that.

0 Kudos
cmarkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Jeff, that did the trick. So, I need to have all .iso images local to the host to build from them? This is somewhat limiting.

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

They don't need to necessarily be on local storage, just storage that can be presented to the VM reguardless of the boot state. I have booted from .iso's on iSCSI or FC datastores just not NFS shares. I would think you could store and use .iso's on any .vmdk formatted device.

Don't forget to give points if this was helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff