VMware Cloud Community
daniellynn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Traffic Shaping for VMs

I'm attempting to implement traffic shaping for a VM and I'm getting something unexpected. I set traffic shaping on the vSwitch to 102400 Kbps in order to max it out at 100 MB. However, on the guest, I see the speed of the network as 1Gb. I tried disabling and reenabling the network connection and even rebooting the guest but it still says 1Gb. I thought when I did this in the past, it showed as a lower speed to the guest. Am I wrong, or am I missing a step somewhere?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No you are not wrong - the operating will still identify the virtual NIC as a 1 GB netowrk card the traffice shaping will be accomplished by the virtual switch throttling the outbound traffic to a maximum of 100 MB -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No you are not wrong - the operating will still identify the virtual NIC as a 1 GB netowrk card the traffice shaping will be accomplished by the virtual switch throttling the outbound traffic to a maximum of 100 MB -

0 Kudos