VMware Cloud Community
rckid
Contributor
Contributor

Supported NIC's In ESX 3.0

I have read the compatibility guides and I'm aware of which GBit NIC's that are supported. However, I am looking for inexpensive NIC's that I could use in a lab envirnoment. If anyone could shed some light on experiences they've had I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

Josh

0 Kudos
7 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

Ive used many types of NICs mostly stck to Intel, not had too many issues, for test environment ebay is a good cheap source..

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

a bunch of people have the Intel Pro 1000 deskpro working. I've got 6 on order for my new test environment at home. they go for $45 canadian at tigerdirect.

http://www.vmware.com/community/search.jspa?q=intelpro1000+desktop

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you need gbit nics? I've got a handful of dual port e100 cards that were castoffs from old servers.

0 Kudos
rckid
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I have a bunch of old 3COMs that were working but wanted to go GBit. I just wasn't sure if the Pro 1000 Desktop cards were going to work. I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

don't forget to mark the replies helpful ... Smiley Happy

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
rckid
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I've done some digging and it looks like the Intel Pro 1000 MT Desktop board has been discontinued and the PT is PCI Express only. Does anyone know of any other inexpensive NIC that would work? I would rather buy new as oppose to ebay. Thanks!

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

what about the Intel PRO/ 1000 GT Desktop NIC? the server counterpart is listed in the HCL. i haven't tested it so I can't say for sure this works.

0 Kudos