VMware Cloud Community
EyakTek
Contributor
Contributor

Sun X2200 with SATA drives 3.0.2

Sun's website indicates that the Sunfire X2200 supports 3.0.2, but the latest version for eval or purchase appears to be 3.0.1.

When we load 3.0.1 we get " No Hard Drives Have Been Found" during the install. I assume that this is a SATA drive issue and hope that 3.0.2 fixes the problem.

How can I get an eval download for 3.0.2 ?

Warren.Williams@EyakTek.com

703-481-0050

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eric_hill
Contributor
Contributor

We bought 4 Sun x2200 servers about 3 months ago because of VMWare being listed as a supported operating system. We also bought licenses for ESX server for each of those servers. When 3.0.1 didn't load on those boxes, tech support said that 3.0.2 wasn't even available internally, beta or otherwise, and that I should just use VMWare Server on a Linux host.

VMWare Server is working well for us, but it's a waste that we spent several thousand dollars on ESX server and can't use it.

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

If there is an option for ATA emulation in your BIOS, use that. The drive will then detect as an IDE drive and will allow installation.

You'll need a SCSI-based subsystem for VMFS, though.

Paul

0 Kudos
wneal
Contributor
Contributor

We're in the same boat. We've got servers, but unfortunately, ESX won't run on them due to the lack of SATA support. Have you guys had any luck getting any further information as to when 3.0.2 is supposed to exist in any form?

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Even is 3.0.2 is released soon, I seriously doubt that there will be any SATA support there. If you have a SAS controller with SATA disks, it will work, but if it's a SATA only controller, it will most likely not work with ESX.

Lars

0 Kudos