VMware Cloud Community
ccurr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Suggested configuration for RAID level

Hallo,

I have a server 4core, 16 GB RAM, 4 discks SAS 140 GB and a EMC SAN whith fibre channel. What is the suggested RAID level for reduncancy and performance ?

Raid 1 + (one disk advanced for other use)

Raid 10 (is really necessary for an ESX configuration ?)

others

Raid 5 (suggested for VMFS but no for simple ESX configuration)

Raid 6 (not suggested because too slow)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As to the local storage (As opposed to the EMC SAN) I would go with RAID 1+0 for best performance. If you have an EMC SAN you will probably be storing most of your VMs on the SAN. Your local storage will be for your ESX install and perhaps a datastore for testing. As such you would want to go with a RAID that offered high performance and redundancy , even though it does so at high disk cost, because size is not you primary concern on the local storage.

As to your EMC (Clariion AX whatever) You will want to cut up LUNS based on performance needs of your VMs.

RAID 5 LUNS for your regular VMs

RAID 1+0 LUNS for SQL (Oracle or MSSQL) or Exchange VMs

Just my two cents on storage opinions vary and the right answer for you is dependent on your environment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

For your ESX install run a pair of SAS drives locally in the server RAID1. You can then remove the other 2 drives as they are not really required.

Your EMC SAN should have a lot of redundancy features built in. If you can afford the disk use RAID 1+0 (10) for your VMFS volumes. If not use RAID5. Configure hot spare drives with both options.

Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As to the local storage (As opposed to the EMC SAN) I would go with RAID 1+0 for best performance. If you have an EMC SAN you will probably be storing most of your VMs on the SAN. Your local storage will be for your ESX install and perhaps a datastore for testing. As such you would want to go with a RAID that offered high performance and redundancy , even though it does so at high disk cost, because size is not you primary concern on the local storage.

As to your EMC (Clariion AX whatever) You will want to cut up LUNS based on performance needs of your VMs.

RAID 5 LUNS for your regular VMs

RAID 1+0 LUNS for SQL (Oracle or MSSQL) or Exchange VMs

Just my two cents on storage opinions vary and the right answer for you is dependent on your environment.

0 Kudos
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Agree with lightbulb. Different LUNs at different Raid level will give you the required performance and cost benefits.

Try not to run too many VMs per LUN. You should be able to get a recommendation of the max number of VMs per LUN from EMC dependant on the controllers you are running in your SAN.

ccurr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to all for the reply :smileyblush:

0 Kudos