VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion

I am trying to do storage vmotion, the existing lun is 250Gb, but only 65Gb is used for the space, so I made a new LUN for 70GB, but when I tried to do Svmotion I got an error saying "insufficient storage space". do I need to make my new lun size exact the same as to the old one?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is no icon. It adds an additional option to the context menu instead. After you have installed it, go back into Manage Plugins and choose the second tab to enable the plugin (if you haven't already done that). After that, right click on the guest you want to move and select Migrate Storage.

adam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It shouldn't require the exact same size. I routinely move stuff around on different size LUNs. I don't know the exact sizing details, but you need to allows for swap file, logs, etc. Try using 80GB.

adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did make 85gb lun and it failed again, let me ask you this,

i have 3 drives on a VM, 1- c drive, 64gb which has a vmx file lun and I am trying to move that one in 85gb, other 2 drives are on a completely seperate luns.

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hmmm..It almost sounds as if you are attempting to move the entire guest and not just the C drive. Are you using the service console or an svmotion plugin? If service console, please post the command, and parameters, that you used.

adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using the vi remote CLI storage vmotion tool...

I copied the .vmx path off the VM and then entere the destination datastore which has 85Gb...

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try the svmotion plugin here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vip-svmotion/

It's makes it easy to move things around. Once you install it, you will need to go into the VIC and choose Plugins off the menuand install it and enable it. Then it's as simple as rightclicking on the guest and click on Migrate Storage and then drag/drop.

adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i can't download that, because site is blocked on our network, can you plz post the exe here? thanks

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Here you go. I downloaded this in June 2008. Looks like Andrew hasn't updated it so it should still be current.

adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks, i installed it and it is showing under Installed Plugin Manager, but i dont see an icon for storage manager?

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is no icon. It adds an additional option to the context menu instead. After you have installed it, go back into Manage Plugins and choose the second tab to enable the plugin (if you haven't already done that). After that, right click on the guest you want to move and select Migrate Storage.

adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks, greatly appreciated..

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i did what you exactly said, but i am getting a message no changes detected. after right clicking i get apply or cancel....

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hmm...Let's break everything down into discrete steps. So after you right click on the guest, you get the listing off all the datastores and your guest, correct? Did you click on the vmdk you want to move first? I click on what I want to move and then wait for the screen to update. After clicking on it, drag/drop the vmdk (or guest) to where you want it to go and then click apply. Is that what you did?

adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I was finally able to drag and drop it, but now it gives me an error "The requested Storage VMotion would move a virtual machines disks w/o assigning the virtual machine a new home, but such a move is not supported on the source host"..

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ahh..You are correct. I just tried it myself. I can migrate a single disk from a powered off guest, but not an active guest. I've generally do all my maintenance on a guest with it powered off. I made the assumption that since you can have guests spanning multiple datastores that svmotion would work. Maybe it will, but the plugin won't allow it.

Going back to your original RCLI method, what happens if you try to migrate to a LUN that is sized to hold the entire guest, instead of just the one vmdk? Do you still get an "insufficient storage" msg?

adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ya i still get insufficient storage, because i am trying to move one lun at a time, never did it before one at a time..

0 Kudos
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Here's the results so far:

Guest on

Guest off

single vmdk

no

yes

entire guest

yes

yes

So we have two different tools giving two different error msgs for the same function. Either there is some dependency/file locked/etc that can't be mitigated with a guest powered on, or you've encountered a bug. At this point, I would call support. I am not versed enough in the inner workings of VM storage to be of help.

Adam

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok thanks, i really appreciate for your help. thank you

0 Kudos