VMware Cloud Community
esxhombre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage Monitoring for ESX 3.0.2

I am trying to get storage IO performance data on a handful of hosts. The data that interests me the most is VMDK- and/or LUN-level IOPs and bandwidth data. Preferred would be aggregate data, acceptible would be real-time data that can be captured in some way for processing into aggregate data.

VirtualCenter does not provide this level of data, and esxtop does not appear to either. I've looked at vCharter, which seems to capture this data, but does not appear to provide aggregate data or provide access to the raw data.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can get detailed storage IO performance data?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

If your storage is sitting on a SAN, you'll need to look at your SAN vendor (EMC/Netapp/etc) to pull this performance data out, this is not captured by any of the VMware componenets. If you're storage is local storage, you might be able to use some storage utilities to get this information.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure which exact counters you are looking for but there is a lot of stuff gathered via:

'esxtop -b > myperf.csv'

You can then load it up in Windows Perfmon and look at the counters. The Physical Disk counters list bandwitdh & IOPS among other things.

Ben

0 Kudos