VMware Cloud Community
jasper9890
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Step by step configuration of remote access on Dell 2950 ?

Ok ok ok.... I know this is off topic, but i'm having a heck of a time getting this configuring and figure many of you use the same systems and might be able to walk thru how it's suppose to be done.

I have OpenManage installed and configured to the best of my knowledge, i connect to the web gui inband at port 1311 in a browser. I guess what's confusing me reading the docs is i see both BMC and DRAC and IPMI, in the web gui i can assign ip's to both of these?

Message was edited by:

jasper9890

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Richard_Claus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the drac card will give you the remote access. you will need to assign a ip address to the drac card and connect to your network. once that is done you can access the system by your web browser connecting to the drac card via the ip address you assigned. the default login is root and the password is calvin

once in you can access the access the console from the menu and you should be able to open a console on the server as well as power down or power up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jasper9890
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

bump, any insight?

0 Kudos
Richard_Claus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the drac card will give you the remote access. you will need to assign a ip address to the drac card and connect to your network. once that is done you can access the system by your web browser connecting to the drac card via the ip address you assigned. the default login is root and the password is calvin

once in you can access the access the console from the menu and you should be able to open a console on the server as well as power down or power up.

0 Kudos
jasper9890
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

in bios i see something about assigning the interface as shared or failover. I don't have physical access to the server right now so i can't verify everything is cabled up as it should be today - is this referring to the two on board nic's or is there a third that the drac traffic goes over?

sorry such questions - i'm coming from a sun background, these dell's are totally greek to me so far.

0 Kudos
jasper9890
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ahhh i found this link: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/alliances/en/vmware_resources?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&...

Which has this pdf on it:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/Installing_Dell_OpenManage_50_on_ESX_3.pdf

I think what was confusing me is OpenManage has so many components to it i was getting confused what each one was. This clears a lot of that up i think.

0 Kudos
jasper9890
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just for my own sanity (and proving i'm not crazy. really.) My confusion was my first set of 2950's did NOT have the drac card installed in them, but my newest ones DID - but they weren't cabled up. It really is simple to get working once you have copper instead of air......

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

what you mean the magic invisible cable fairies, wouldn't carry the packets for you, shame on them, pack them back into the box and send back to Santa. LOL, I've not been there toooooo often. DataCenter staff, you gotta love 'em. Smiley Happy (ps. this is not all datacenter staff, just those that forget to cable iLos, Dracs etc or cable to the wrong Vlans, use x-over cables etc, etc, etc). Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410