VMware Cloud Community
viper8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Snapshot issue - ran out of disk space - removed snapshot, but it didn't remove the delta files?

Server info: 3.0.2-52542

All,

I made the mistake of leaving a snapshot live on a system overnight and our SQL backups ran which ended up writing a ton of data to the delta file, in turn it filled up the vmstore partition.

A message came up saying "There is no more space for the redo log of Alpamayo_1-000001.vmdk. You may be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant partition, and clicking Retry. Otherwise, click Abort to terminate this session." I chose Abort.

The VM shut down, and then I removed the snapshot. So at this point the snapshot does not exist in VI, but the -delta files still exist in the vmstore. How do I remedy thissituation? If I take another snapshot would it know to use the old -delta files? If so, then I could remove it and commit the changes.

Here is the content of the Alpamayo_1-000001.vmdk file:

1. Disk DescriptorFile

version=1

CID=0a50c639

parentCID=c1379f69

createType="vmfsSparse"

parentFileNameHint="Alpamayo_1.vmdk"

1. Extent description

RW 62914560 VMFSSPARSE "Alpamayo_1-000001-delta.vmdk"

1. The Disk Data Base

#DDB

ddb.toolsVersion = "7302"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
viper8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Talked with support. The solution is to create a new snapshot, then "Delete All" snapshots. Takes care of deleting the old one as well! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos