VMware Cloud Community
braunholz
Contributor
Contributor

Slow HDD performance and missing driver

Hello,

we run several windows servers and windows clients on our vmware esx. One of the Windows 2003 Servers is a build-server with major a HDD issue.

This machine was a hardware before and was virtualized to the ESX. Is there any way to increase the HDD-Performance? Perhaps there are special windows (guest) drivers? The files are stored on a Raid6 base.

Performance graph of vmware infrastructure client shows reads up to 650 KBps and writes up to 4000 KBps.

There is also the following eventlog http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100998... , but i cannot remove the driver as it is not listed in the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" section. Might there be a driver issue with the HDD? I applied the Tools from our ESX Infrastructure client.

Thank you.

Regards,

Uwe

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what kind of storage r u using....

The slow performance may be caused by the large page size managed by MMU...

Try to increase the cache size of the SP's in the storage..This sometimes also increase the performance

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
braunholz
Contributor
Contributor

We use a raid 6 with 6 SATA drives inside the ESX itself.

The (performance) problem seems to be on one client only. How is that possible? Aren't there any drivers etc. involved?

Regards

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

Did you use the VMWare converter to migrate it from phys 2 Virt? If so then all the hardware driver you need should be installed. Did you assume defaults? If not what disk controller did you select to emulate?

0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i also faced this problem before with a mchine which was migrated to esx server..To resolve this initally i poweroff the vm and than created a new vm by using the existing vmdk of the machine which was facing HDD performance...and this resolve the issue

This might help u

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos