VMware Cloud Community
GBromage
Expert
Expert

Setting up license server from the service console

Hi there!

Is there a way of configuring the license server from the service console? (or, more specifically, from an Altiris script)

Thanks,

Greg

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

This is usually configured in the Kickstart file.

There is a vmlicense keyword to define the license type/parameters and a %vmlicense_text section for the host-based license key.

vmlicense --mode=server --server=27000@a.b.c --edition=esxFull --features=backup

GBromage
Expert
Expert

Thanks BugChk - that will help me with new installs.

My immediate problem is for my existing servers - the host that held my license server failed, and I had to move it to another box. Is there an easy way to update 100 or so hosts at once? (reassigning the DNS name/IP address is not an option in this case)

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

I have found some data in /etc/vmware/license.cfg, but I have not tried to change anything.

0 Kudos