VMware Cloud Community
Nicodemus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Service Console backup ?

In the Installation & Configuration pdf it recommends " Before upgrading an ESX Server host, back up the service console and the local VMFS2..."

How exactly do you backup the service console? Never seen this done...

Thanks, - Nicodemus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I went back and read what Vmware had in the upgrade manual.

It recommended saving /etc/password and /etc/groups ( which is basically users and groups created ), any custom scripts, .vmx files and local files ( like .iso you may have ). I usually recommend saving all of /etc just to be safe, /etc hold most of the service console configuration values.

I guess the thinking with the backup is if there is an issue in the the upgrade and you want to go back to the prior version you would reinstall the earlier version and then copy back the saved files. If you prior install didn't not have many changes from a default install you may just be able to document those changes and reconfigure on a reinstall, that may be easier then dealing with saving console files.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nicodemus,

Check out this discussion.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

One thing you could do to be save it to save the /etc directory

tar cxzf etc_save.tgz /etc

will create a tar/gzip file called etc_save.tgz ( sample file name ) of the /etc directory which you could then save.

0 Kudos
Nicodemus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All right, (being fairly new to VMware).. so backing up /etc is considered backing up the Service Console...

So when and why would you need to do this? is not SC replaced if you rebuild the Host? Trying to understand the advantages and needs...

Thx, - Nicodemus

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I went back and read what Vmware had in the upgrade manual.

It recommended saving /etc/password and /etc/groups ( which is basically users and groups created ), any custom scripts, .vmx files and local files ( like .iso you may have ). I usually recommend saving all of /etc just to be safe, /etc hold most of the service console configuration values.

I guess the thinking with the backup is if there is an issue in the the upgrade and you want to go back to the prior version you would reinstall the earlier version and then copy back the saved files. If you prior install didn't not have many changes from a default install you may just be able to document those changes and reconfigure on a reinstall, that may be easier then dealing with saving console files.

0 Kudos
Nicodemus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the answer.. what you say makes sense. It just had never occurred to me to backup Service Console.

- Nicodemus

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The easiest way to back up the service console is to export the diagonsitics data from within VirtualCenter.

Jason

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks Nicodemus, good luck with your upgrade

0 Kudos