VMware Cloud Community
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

Server shows Invalid after ESX power down

Hello,

We recently powered down our data center and when we brought it back up, one of my VMs was not listed in the VI. I found the VM in the data store and added it to the inventory, but it is grayed out and shows (invalid) beside it. The server has a snapshot, so I am not able to restore the full thing from backup.

What can I do to fix this?

I am running ESX 3.5 Update 1.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

if you have an orphaned or invalid entry that exists in the VI to this server, then you need to remove it from inventory, and then add it back in. I don't believe it will work to add it into inventory while there is still an old reference that still exists.

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I think I figured it out. Looking in the datastore I noticed that the VMFX file was 0k. I restored the last backup of that file and copied it back into the datastore, re-added the server to the inventory and everything started up fine...I think.

What is the vmfx file anyway?

0 Kudos
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

you mean vmxf? It is not used in ESX...it is a feature more for the Workstation app...for teaming VM's together, but is included in ESX for compatability purposes.

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry,

Yes the vmxf file. Interesting that it would cause the VM to get all wonky if it gets corrupted. Anyway ity is all fixed now.

0 Kudos