VMware Cloud Community
markroe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Serial Port configuration for a VM

I have a vm hosted on a ESX 3.01 server.

I connect to this W2K3 VM via a workstation using MSTSC.

I want to connect a serial device to the workstaion (XP) so that the W2K3 VM can use this device.

Is this possible and if so then how do i do it ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Mark,

This is not a VM issue, the functionallity you are talking about is a terminal services function not a VM function. firstly have you checked that policy is not disabling the redirect COM port setting.

Also open TSCC (terminal services configuration\Connections) and right click the RDP-Tcp icon in the right hand pane and select Properties, make sure that the client tab is selected and confirm that teh check box titled "Com port mapping" is not checked, if this Terminal server is also running Presentation server do the same for ICA.

Next open MSTSC on the client machine that you are connecting from and click the opetion button, select "Local Resouces" and then click the button marked "More"

Make sure that the check box marked Serial Ports is Checked.

then try again.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
markroe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update

I have created a named pipe within the VM - But how do ii connect to it via my workstation ?

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you best bet would be to use a serial over ip device. i am currently using a Digi TS Port Server to conenct all my serial devices (modems, call data recorders) to my ip network. you then install the digi software in your vm guest and the serial devices show up just as they would in a physical environment. Here is a link to the product I am using....

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
markroe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link but unfortunately i have no budget for this product

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Mark,

This is not a VM issue, the functionallity you are talking about is a terminal services function not a VM function. firstly have you checked that policy is not disabling the redirect COM port setting.

Also open TSCC (terminal services configuration\Connections) and right click the RDP-Tcp icon in the right hand pane and select Properties, make sure that the client tab is selected and confirm that teh check box titled "Com port mapping" is not checked, if this Terminal server is also running Presentation server do the same for ICA.

Next open MSTSC on the client machine that you are connecting from and click the opetion button, select "Local Resouces" and then click the button marked "More"

Make sure that the check box marked Serial Ports is Checked.

then try again.

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
markroe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thats it - excellent

thank you very much

regards

0 Kudos