VMware Cloud Community
xybal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sending mail from ESX

Hi,

All is in the subject, Is it possible to send a mail from an ESX node, and if yes, how can I do that ?

Thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well I must admit, that my previous reply was too fast. only vc4 has this datastore alarm. With 3.x version you must probably use scripts to make this. you can combine email scripts (from this thread) with command vdf -h command (that shows free space)

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

FIrst you must configure you vcenter to acces your smtp server.

And email can be sende e.g. by triggered alarms, or what you want o do with it?

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you want to send directly from ESX, then here is one solution send emails from esx console

If you want to send emails from vCenter, then do as user krowczynski says.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
xybal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thx for this help,

Can you precise me how to use triggers and how to do that because I've never used them ?

Thx

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well it depends what you want to monitor. If you want to monitor host connection state (if it goes with disconnected) then on folder/cluster Alarm page set correct alarm (right click->new alarm->host connection state). If you want to define datastore alarms, then also choose correct ones, the same for VMs (like heartbeat - if they have vmtools installed)

0 Kudos
xybal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes what I want to do is sending a mail if for ie my datastores are above 90% usage.

How can I exactly do that. ?

thx

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well In ESX 3.5 you can't do this by default. Maybe with some scripts there would be such option. In vSphere (vCenter4) there is Datastore alarm to use.

0 Kudos
xybal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry but I'm still under ESX 3.02

0 Kudos
xybal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is someone got a solution for this version ?

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well I must admit, that my previous reply was too fast. only vc4 has this datastore alarm. With 3.x version you must probably use scripts to make this. you can combine email scripts (from this thread) with command vdf -h command (that shows free space)

0 Kudos