VMware Cloud Community
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scripted install - VMware ESX Server 3 CDROM not found

I am getting the following error when using my newly-made scripted install CD for 3.0.2 -- "VMware ESX Server 3 CDROM not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the VMware ESX Server 3 CD". I have a functional automated install for 3.0.1, but since 3.0.2, I have not been able to make a CD. It errors out immediately before the CD Media test. I believe the problem is somewhere in my process and syntax.

• mount the esx 3.0.2 CDrom

• cp /mnt/cdrom/* /esxcd2/ -avf

• cp /esxcd2/isolinux/initrd.img /esxcd2/initrd.img.gz

• gunzip /esxcd2/initrd.img.gz

• mount /esxcd2/initrd.img /mnt/floppy -o loop

• cp /home/user/*.cfg /mnt/floppy (copies some Kixstart scripts)

• cp /home/user/isolinux/* /esxcd2/isolinux (copies modified boot.msg and isolinux.cfg to isolinux directory)

• umount /mnt/floppy

• gzip /esxcd2/initrd.img

• mv /esxcd2/initrd.img.gz /esxcd2/isolinux/initrd.img -f

• cd /esxcd2

• mkisofs -l -J -R -r -T -o /esx3.0.2-custom.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table /esxcd2

The reason I believe it is either with copy process to create /esxcd2 directory (which looks identical to the ISO) or the mkisofs command is that I have skipped the modified files and simply ran the mkisofs command on an unaltered /esxcd2 directory, and it still failed. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
espi3030
Expert
Expert

I had similar issues, when I followed the instructions on this page my scripted installs work flawless! [http://www.xtravirt.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=67]

bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep that is the page that helped me get my 3.0.1 working as well, but it doesn't seem to help me on this one. The only difference I can see between mine and the page is the gunzip step (where I rename it and then unzip it). I have been pulling my hair out on this one.

0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I figured out what my problem was. I was missing a hidden file (.discinfo) in the root of the drive. The standard cp did not capture the hidden files -- I got the idea from the NFS network scripted install question below in which they used tar instead of cp. Thanks all for the help.

0 Kudos