VMware Cloud Community
jojo2000
Contributor
Contributor

SVMotion fails for a VM with attached RDMs

I'm trying to move a VM from one storage bucket to another one that is attached to a different SAN. I have been using SVMotion for most of the moves but we're seeing issues with moving VMs that have a large amount of RDMs attached to them. Basically, the SVMotion GUI won't let me do the move because it's counting the space of the RDMs when computing space requirements. Now I am trying to manually copy the folder for the VM and move it to another location but the RDM pointer files are huge and it's like it's trying to move all that stuff as well. We're running 3.5. Has anyone dealt with this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

Scratch that original post, you can not move RDM's with svmotion to another lun, you need to use convertor and it would create a vmdk file out of your rdm.

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can use SVMotion on an RDM, but it should just move the pointer. Like you I have yet to successfully SVMotion a VM with an RDM as it doesn't like my adapter type of 'legacyesx' since the VMs were upgraded from ESX 2.5.x

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

one of his problems is that he's trying to move to a completely different lun or storage environment...

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Jojo

It sound like you are trying to relocate the data on the RDM to another Storage array...??

If you have the capacity and the Storage arrays on the same fabric, the easiest way to move would be as follows.

1. Map a new RDM from the other SAN to the ESX host, present it the the VM with the Exist RDM...... and move the data from within the Guest OS.

2. Detach your old RDM and change drive letters...

You may need to do some temporary zoning changes to your fabric, but it will save lots of time if you have alot of data on your RDM's.

And remember, once your finished, clean up the zoning!

best regards

Bernie

http://sanmelody.blogspot.com

0 Kudos