SQL 2005 and VC 2.x

Does VC 2.01 support SQL 2005?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Not according to the VI3 docs:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vi301/quickstart/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=quickstart&file=vi_quick_start_intro.3.6.html[/b]

But I imagine that it will work.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Not officially supported but I can confirm that it works (on my server).

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

Ditto it works Smiley Happy

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
Freitag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also have no problems with SQL2005 and VC 2 on the same maschine.

Its pretty stupid that officialy according to documentation just the SQL 2000 is suported, for which you can not purchase licenses any more.

Perhaps Oracle (Oracle 9iR2, 10gR1 (versions 10.1.0.3 and higher only), and 10gR2)[/i] is "$upporting" VMware more then Microsoft.

Smiley Wink

What would also interest me if in case you have some major issues you really do not get any support from VMware, something like "You have to use Oracle"...

But from my experiences until now with support the VMware staff is very competent and do their best to help!

0 Kudos
MattMeyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I had VC 2.0.0 working just fine on with 2005, but VC 2.0.1 is not. I have assigned the DSN account as dbo in 2005 and no joy. Please confirm that 2.0.1 is working, because I cannot get it to work. I get an error when the installer attempts to create to the tables.

0 Kudos
Eddy
Commander
Commander

Supported and working are two different subjects... While it may work, its not officially supported... I would go towards support as oppose to having the latest version...

Go Virtual!
0 Kudos
MattMeyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I understand the support/works philosophy. If I cannot get it to work again on 2005, I'll revert to 2000. All of our sql clusters have been updated to 2005, and so I had our VC 2.0.0 db on it, albit unsupported. If I have to revert to MSDE, I will. I just want to throw it out to the community and ask. Has anyone gotten 2.0.1[/b] to work with SQL 2005?

0 Kudos
MattMeyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Little update.

I tried using the sa account and still no joy. I looks like VMware has blocked it somehow although I have not figured out how or why as of yet.

0 Kudos
JasonSCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have the database set to 80 for SQL 2000 compatibility?

J

0 Kudos
MattMeyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes I do. I'm stumpted. If sa cannot do it, I know it's not a security or permissions issue blocking access to the database.

0 Kudos
MattMeyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I brought up a temp SQL 2000 server and configured it in the same way; and behold, same problem. After further investigation I found it was not SQL 2005, but the length of my password. I use a 64-char complex password for my service accounts and there is something that the 2.0.1 installer does not like about them. After reducing my password to 32-char, all is well again. This also explains why sa would not work either. Even though it is local, it is also a 64-char password.

I hope this helps someone else that uses long passwords.

This problem was not present in the 2.0.0 release. If you plan to upgrade to 2.0.1, shorten your passwords to 32-char or lower.

0 Kudos
degustator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, you can not buy SQL2000 directly. But you may purchase SQL2005 and then downgrade to 2000. This is legal with all Microsoft products.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

64-char passwords!? You masochist! :lol:

0 Kudos
MattMeyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Smiley Happy It's not like I ever have to actually type them out. This is the first time my insane security policy has bitten me.

The crazy part is it does not matter if it was sql or NT auth. If the password was 64-char, it failed. I think there is something in the VC installer that is broken. During the ODBC configuration, everything passes, but once the installer attempts to use this information when creating the tables, it fails. I think some of the password is getting cut off from the time you configure the ODBC info till the time the installer attempts to create the VC repository.

0 Kudos
fimbulvetr
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similiar issue with the vmware VI client. It doesn't support spaces in the password.

What's with the artificial password limitations? Like it's that hard to code for support of characters. In fact, it seems they had to write more code to not allow it, than to allow it.

0 Kudos
wunderon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

mmm,

my VIC 2.0.1 build 32042 works fine with spaces in my passwords.

0 Kudos
fimbulvetr
Contributor
Contributor

Make your root password on an esx server one with spaces in it and with a space at the end. Now try to log in from VI remotely.

No worky. Now try making it the same password without spaces. Works.

0 Kudos
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, support, I have working. I have the same question. Searching in VMware KB, I found the answer. Search by this doc id 6565318 on www.vmware.com/kb or http://kb.vmware.com/kb/6565318

Eduardo.

Message was edited by:

tropix

Message was edited by:

ken.cline@hp.com to shorten the URL

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

The installation documentation (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_installation_guide.pdf) still shows SQL2000SP4 as a requirement with no mention of SQL2005 which means it's unsupported. Yet, the VMware KB says SQL2005SP1 is now supported.

VMware, please update the documentation Smiley Happy This is an important piece for the infrastructure and can easily be a showstopper planning the environment without the proper back end DB. It was for us. We had SQL2000SP3a but now SQL2000SP4 or SQL2005SP1 which meant we had no supported SQL environment for VC2. Due to this, we had to use Oracle 9iR2 as our back end database which we did have in house already.

Jas

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos