VMware Cloud Community
Jamiestarr38
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running Virtual Center in a VM

Is there any issues with installing and running Virtual Center in a VM?

1. I have 4 r900’s

2. I will install Virtual Center on a VM hosted by a the first r900.

3. Create a cluster via Virtual Center that was installed on the VM residing on the

first r900.

4. I will add the 3 remaining r900’s to the cluster.

5. Finally I move the r900 with the Virtual Center VM into the cluster managed by that VM.

So my question what would be the impact on the Virtual Center VM?

Is that an acceptable solution?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I agree no problem except if you have a problem on the host that holds your VC you may need to be able to fix the problem from the esx console.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no problem running VC in a virtual machine - what you propose will work fine including DRS and HA.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I agree no problem except if you have a problem on the host that holds your VC you may need to be able to fix the problem from the esx console.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
tonyoc50
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently switched from running the VCC on a blade to running it as a VM. Only problem I have noticed is some lag time when performing some admin type operations. Otherwise, it works well and is a great comfort knowing it's easy to restore for disaster recovery. We use vcbbackup for our high profile servers.

Smiley Happy Tony OC

Jamiestarr38
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gentlemen, I am comfortable with this solution now, thanks to you all input....Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jamiestarr,

ya there is no issue VC running in VM, but I do have a question fo you though, did you migrate your VM's to new R900, or you just deployed it from scratch... if you did the migration, so would you like to share the process? thanks

0 Kudos
Jamiestarr38
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well my plan is as follow:

1 Once I install Virtual Center and have it functional

2. I will install vConverter Enterprise

3. I will then proceed to perform a Virtual to Virtual over the wire to migrate the VM's into the new environment.

Hope that answers your question.

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no. What I am asking is how many VM's do you have currently running? or you are going to create VM's once you have your VC up and running? I thought you were going to convert VC from physical to Virtual.

0 Kudos
Jamiestarr38
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a client who is running 3.0 with 20 virtual machines. I am designing and implementing a new VI3 environment with ESX 3.5 update 3.

I decided to run a new install of Virtual Center on a new virtual machine then the plan is to V2V the VMs from the old 3.0 environment. Also

I will deploy new VMs from the new VC, about 25 in total. I just wanted to confirm that I could run Virtual Center on a brand new VM,

thus the reason I started this thread.

0 Kudos