Jump to solution

Run 3i or 3.5?

Hi All.

I have two DELL 2950s. One is running 3i and the other is 3.5

Right off the bat, I am really digging 3i because

• Quicker simpler install

• Menu driven console interface - like changing IP and password

• Health status in the config page in VC

So far, drivers and functionality, everything that 3.5 can do, 3i can do also. Is there any compelling reason to run 3.5 over 3i? In terms of CPU utilization of 3i over 3.5, because it seems that 3i might be eating more CPU cycle when idle... but I was running through the configurations on 3i at the time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I was going to say the exact same thing. I just noticed this morning that 3i only has experimental support for HA.

Well if you want to use HA and have support at the same time, than be sure not to use 3i.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There are several features that 3.5 has integrated and if you're looking for VCB, Converter, Patch Management and Storage for VMOTION than you might want to implement 3.5 but I would wait for several more months for 3.5 in production due to infantry released. Wait until the public react and see any new patches from Vmware and than you can decide but you can always play it in a lab environment. 3i is very good if you don't like to spend more than 10 minutes installation and just like to play with the Service Console than its good for you.

I believe there is a bug on 3.5 version that VMware is working on the issue on licensing option problems. You can only choose beta option instead of license server option. Correct me if I'm wrong!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well if you want to use HA and have support at the same time, than be sure not to use 3i.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I was going to say the exact same thing. I just noticed this morning that 3i only has experimental support for HA.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
lightfighter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

3i is just a new born baby....... lets wait till its able to say da-da

0 Kudos
VMotional
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yup, got my answer. HA and not being able to mix the versions is a deal breaker. The Health Status tab is soooooo purty and a nice feature, but all the hooks and caveats to get HA to work experimentally just doesn't fly for production use.

Thanks for all the input!

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What about 'got milk?'

0 Kudos