VMware Cloud Community
clicker666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resizing partitions?

I've got ESX 3.5 installed for testing on a 500 GB SATA drive. My partition sizes seem a little odd to me though:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2 4.9G 1.3G 3.4G 28% /

/dev/sda1 99M 26M 69M 28% /boot

none 132M 0 132M 0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda7 2.0G 84M 1.8G 5% /var/log

/vmfs/devices 218G 0 218G 0% /vmfs/devices

/vmfs/volumes/47f5f7d3-c212db51-0cad-001b210faf99 66G 35G 31G 52% /vmfs/volumes/esx1:storage1

I don't know why there is so much space assigned to /vmfs/devices and so little assigned to /vmfs/volumes. Is there anyway to grow the volumes partition? How much space do I really need in devices?

Also, my HP controller should be in soon, and I will be switching to an array. Would I be correct in guessing that the easiest way to move from the single SATA drive to the array is to make the array boot first, reinstall ESX on the array, and transfer the old VMs from the SATA to the array?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Here's a general use of partitions listed and you can increase it as you like. You can change the / partition to 6144MB if you want and the remaining disk space is partition with VMFS and autofill it.

Mount Point

Partition

Size

Description

/dev/sda (Primary)

/boot

ext3

250 MB

Change for additional space for upgrades

N/A

swap

1600 MB

Change for maximum service console swap size

/

ext3

6144 MB

Change for additional space in root

/dev/sda (Extended)

/var

ext3

4096 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with log files

/tmp

ext3

1024 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with temporary files

/opt

ext3

2048 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with VMware HA log files

/home

ext3

1024 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with agent / user files

vmkcore

100 MB

Pre-configured

Free Space

(Optional) Auto-configured and used for local VMFS-3 volume (needed for virtual machines running Microsoft's Clustering Software.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> easiest way to move from the single SATA drive to the array is to make the array boot first, reinstall ESX on the array, and transfer the old VMs from the SATA to the array?

Yes.

and since devices is a physical mount not LVM, no way to resize. I don't know why it's so big.

clicker666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not a big Linux user, but would I be safe in guessing that Gparted CD probably wouldn't help me with this?

My new system will have 1 TB of disk space. What would you recommend for partitions?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Here's a general use of partitions listed and you can increase it as you like. You can change the / partition to 6144MB if you want and the remaining disk space is partition with VMFS and autofill it.

Mount Point

Partition

Size

Description

/dev/sda (Primary)

/boot

ext3

250 MB

Change for additional space for upgrades

N/A

swap

1600 MB

Change for maximum service console swap size

/

ext3

6144 MB

Change for additional space in root

/dev/sda (Extended)

/var

ext3

4096 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with log files

/tmp

ext3

1024 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with temporary files

/opt

ext3

2048 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with VMware HA log files

/home

ext3

1024 MB

Create partition to avoid overfilling root with agent / user files

vmkcore

100 MB

Pre-configured

Free Space

(Optional) Auto-configured and used for local VMFS-3 volume (needed for virtual machines running Microsoft's Clustering Software.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

During the install process you do not assign space to the /vmfs/volumes partition. This space is created from any space that is left behind after allocating space to all of the OS partitions. Chances are high on my gues that devices was the last item you selected to create and you made it larger (or close to that). You are correct, you do not need that much space for devices. You stated that you will be creating a new array. If that is a local array, then yes make that your boot item and reinstall.

There are ways to go in and resize partitions, but it is much easier to reinstall and choose the options you want during install.