VMware Cloud Community
renski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rebuild vmware with 3.0.2 from 3.0.1 config

Hi,

I'm planning on rebuilding my vmware server, currently it's 3.0.1 build 39823. I'm reconstructing the array on the server, so I can't upgrade to 3.0.2

My question is, if I rebuild the server with 3.0.2 and then restore the backup VMware config (/etc/vmware) from the 3.0.1 install, is that going to cause any problems with 3.0.2?

I know I have to clear the patchdb out..

thanks,

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there a particular reason you need to preserve the contents of /etc/vmware?

When you do the fresh build, you'll enter the host name, IP addressing, language, time zone and VLAN info anyway.

If you're rebuilding the disk array, the local VMFS partition will be destroyed, but any ones off your SAN/iSCSI will be automatically picked up anyway.

Unless you've loaded anything too customised on there, about the only things you'd need to reconfigure would be NTP and your networking. It's probably quicker and easier to redo them then worry about a restore.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there a particular reason you need to preserve the contents of /etc/vmware?

When you do the fresh build, you'll enter the host name, IP addressing, language, time zone and VLAN info anyway.

If you're rebuilding the disk array, the local VMFS partition will be destroyed, but any ones off your SAN/iSCSI will be automatically picked up anyway.

Unless you've loaded anything too customised on there, about the only things you'd need to reconfigure would be NTP and your networking. It's probably quicker and easier to redo them then worry about a restore.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
renski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The main reason is having a backup of the vSwitch config

0 Kudos