VMware Cloud Community
JoshSones
Contributor
Contributor

RE: adding new host to cluster- storage

Existing DRS/HA cluster with 2 3.0.1 build32039 (no patches) hosts, with multiple fiber channel and iscsi VMFS volumes.

I am adding a 3rd host (same version). Right now it is a standalone server managed by the same VC server as the cluster (VC is 2.0.1)

So far I have:

• matched all networking configuration details

• matched all security profile details

• enabled iSCSI, added dynamic discovery entry (volume and other targets appear)

• on fiber channel SAN, I have presented disks with same LUN's as the other hosts

• rebooted server and rescanned for adapter and vmfs volumes

Problem is that in the Storage tab, the fiber channel VMFS volumes are not appearing.

Questions:

Should they appear BEFORE I add the standalone into the cluster? If so, how do I make this happen?

If not, then what is the next step?

In fact, what is the correct steps to add a new host to a cluster? Is there a checklist of prerequisites (i.e. first configure networks to be exactly the same, next enable iSCSI and discover targets, etc... etc? The only thing the guides say are way to simple like 'right click and add to cluster'.

(Please do not send me a link to a pdf guide that says how to add a host to a cluster in which all it states is drag and drop, or right click and add. I have seen all of these, but I have not been able to get a definitive answer to what needs to be configured prior to this in order to make it work)

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

What you have done is the correct way, but storage not seen on this host is an issue. This host should also see the same exact shared Luns as the other ESX servers which are part of the Cluster.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
JoshSones
Contributor
Contributor

From what I understand, the server should pick any new LUN's presented to it at boot time.

I have rebooted the host at least 3 times, rescanned even more, but nothing shows up.

Any ideas on where to begin troubleshooting?

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Under configuration tab, storage adapter, have u see the LUN?

System Engineer

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

Malaysia

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
JoshSones
Contributor
Contributor

No. None are listed under each fc adapter.

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Could try enter your HBA bios and verify the LUN from there. Like qlogic card, we normally can see the LUN presented to the host from qlogic bios. But donno emulex & the rest.

System Engineer

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

Malaysia

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
_David
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should check if there is something wrong with the presenation of the disks in the storage array and zoning .

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos