VMware Cloud Community
Cruicer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quick question regarding templates

I have an ESX host that is used as a template repository, currently running 3.0.2. If I were to rebuild that host as ESX 3.5 can I still deploy those templates to a 3.0.2 hosts? What happens to the VMtools? And gotcha's by doing this? Reason I am asking is we have a good number of 3.0.2 hosts as well as 3.5 hosts. And right now the templates are built using the 3.0.2 Vmtools, so when a VM is build via a template to a 3.5 box the tools are out of date and I continue to chase my tail trying to keep all the VM tools up to date. A counterpart of mine says the is 99% sure it works but I am looking for the 100%.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Not the exact situation here, but we upgraded our old 3.0.x enviornment last week. We had templates. You will be fine to deploy off the templates, just don't do anthing with the templates VMware Tools, or the guests. Leave all tools "out of date" until you get all your hosts on the same build level.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Cruicer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am trying to elimiate or cut down on the number of out of date tools. My thought here was to have the template server as 3.5, update the templates to reflect the 3.5 tools. But what will that do when I go to deploy a VM to a 3.0.2 host? Will those tools still show out of date or are the tools cumlative?

0 Kudos
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can use your templates and customizations from 3.02 in 3.5.

Of course the tools will be outdated.

0 Kudos
Cruicer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand that, but if my templates are sitting on a 3.5 host with the 3.5 tools and I deploy that template to a 3.0.2 host, will the tools show as out of date on that VM residing on the 3.0.2 host?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if my templates are sitting on a 3.5 host with the 3.5 tools and I deploy that template to a 3.0.2 host, will the tools show as out of date on that VM residing on the 3.0.2 host?

no

0 Kudos