VMware Cloud Community
blckgrffn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quick question on connecting VC2 to remote site ESX3 servers

I am testing VC2 in bringing our remote site servers into the fold. Our main site is using 2.5.3 and VC1.

I can add a local ESX3.0.1 server just fine inside of VC2.

I can also connect to the remote site servers, be prompted for login ID, go through the four click process of adding them, at which time I can see the running virtual machines, etc in VC2.

Then it fails, "Failed to install the Virtual Center Service." The machine stays in VC2 as a disconnected host, and I can repeat the process by telling it to connect.

Is this due to a firewall issue? Is there something I need to check on these remote site servers? I use the root id to add the servers to VC2.

Thanks,

Nat

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are many threads in these forums regarding this problem. There are a few end user documented workarounds. The basic workaround is that you can install the VC2.x agent on your ESX hosts manually and that will resolve the problem. Another workaround involves creating a particular directory under /var/ if I remember correctly.

Perform a forum search based on your error message you're bound to find one quickly.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are your remote ESX servers managed by the VC1 server also? An ESX server can only be managed by one VirtualCenter server at a time.

0 Kudos
blckgrffn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, all the remote servers are ESX 3.0.1 and so cannot be managed by our current VC server. Sorry for not making that clear.

Nat

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are many threads in these forums regarding this problem. There are a few end user documented workarounds. The basic workaround is that you can install the VC2.x agent on your ESX hosts manually and that will resolve the problem. Another workaround involves creating a particular directory under /var/ if I remember correctly.

Perform a forum search based on your error message you're bound to find one quickly.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos