VMware Cloud Community
vvarnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question: VC 2.5 upgrade cleans up statistics?

Hi everybody.

I'm running through the eval of VirtualCenter 2.5 and noticed the new statistics settings. I absolutely LOVE the ability to control the Statistics Level for each interval individually. I've been running with Level 4 collection here for a long time (months) and have encountered the horrid database response/timeout problem (with a 45GB database). So, my question is this:

Does anyone know/has anyone seen what happens to the statistics during the upgrade to VC 2.5? Do the old statistics get cleaned up/cleared out? If so, does it happen at the upgrade or after a rollup interval? If not, got a way to clear out old detail data?

What I would like to do is keep the very detailed stats for a month then let them go. I'm thinking that is possible with this new model in VC 2.5, but I want to know if existing data carried over in the upgrade gets cleaned.

Thanks.

VwV

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ExCon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While I didn't pay too much attention to it while I was upgrading in my lab, I do definitely remember the option to retain the statistics. Hope that helps...

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll have the option during the database upgrade to preserve performance data and / or task / event data.

0 Kudos
BMCVMWareTeam
Contributor
Contributor

I was trying to run that scenario last night with a larger VC database. I tried to preserve the stats which it has to upgrade (assumes it adds new columns or the like) and it ran all night and didn't complete. I had to stop it. When I choose to not preserve the stats the database upgrade failed. Either way it whacks the database.

Thank gosh I am running this production VCenter on a VM and had a good snapshot from before. I easily rolled back and am trying to figure out what went wrong.

BTW: I was using the requistite Oracle 10.2.0.3

0 Kudos
sandu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which version of VC were you trying to upgrade?

VC database upgrade process took a long time to complete in my setup also (1+ Hr for 5GB), but it was successful.

0 Kudos
vvarnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all, thought I'd post a follow-up.

Upgraded my VirtualCenter environment last night. Took about 4.5 hours to convert the database (42.5 GB). After the upgrade the database was about 55 G. I changed the statistics levels on the month and year retention intervals and this morning the database is less than 30GB.

I guess I answered my own question. Can I give myself points?

VwV

0 Kudos