VMware Cloud Community
alalit
Contributor
Contributor

(Q) Understanding Real Terms of CPU virtualization?

Hi Team.

I need to understand the real terms of CPU virtualization in ESX / ESXi solution. In clear text:

1. If a virual machine runs on 2 or 4 logical CPUs, how many of physical CPUs it utilizes on physical host.

2. How the concept of logical CPU works.

3. How to measure the real time CPU virtualization performance and a single state CPU performance monitoring on a VM.

P.S. Just to update it say, host physical machine has 8 CPUs total (Xeon) and VM has 4 virtual processors.

I would appreciate if someone can reply with answers in "clear text" terms. Thanks a ton.

Warm regards,

Anshul

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

1. If a virual machine runs on 2 or 4 logical CPUs, how many of physical CPUs it utilizes on physical host.

Depends, VMware counts every core as a CPU, so it runs on 2 or 4 cores at a given point of time. The cores actually used can reside on any CPU in the host. Which cores on which CPU's are used change continuously.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
alalit
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update it say, host physical machine has 8 CPUs total (Xeon) and VM has 4 virtual processors.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been locked since it is a duplicate

Oliver Reeh[/i]

[VMware Communities User Moderator|http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2444][/i]

0 Kudos