VMware Cloud Community
ttrulis
Contributor
Contributor

Pulling data from Exchange DB on VM from tape

Hello all,

I have the unsavory task of pulling a full virtual machine backup from tape from a month ago. I need to pull a user's contacts from the exchange database existing on it. I recovered the data from tape and used VMware convertor to reintroduce it into our environment. I kept the virtual exchange server on the internal vlan (ie. not on prod network) or I assume bad things will happen as this server is still running in our production environment today. I power it on and attempt to exmerge and it naturally complains that there is no DC to authenticate to. So I cloned a DC and put on same internal vlan and things went south from there. The DC cannot see the domain and despite seizing FSMO roles the server refuses to work.

So my question is - is there an easier way to recover this data? Can I piggyback the vmdk of the recovered database onto the production server and exmerge the contacts from there without causing a rift in the space time continuum? I am so close to getting this done. Anyone ever have the unpleasant task of recovery a full VM from a tape or something similar to this? Please help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Yes very close, but you may have to run AD recovery mode, or demote that Exchange server and promote it again on the new DC you created.

The data is obviously there, but I don't think you can point exchange to an existing data file and just add it as a recognizable exchange DB. If that were to happen, I think you would see duplicate entries. Might want to check Exchange KB on that.

I would just run a repair on that Exchange server, install AD on that (since it's a separate lan, and all you want is data back) that way you only have 1 machine to contend with.

I suppose you verified ping, and connectivity to the machines to ensure they were able to talk to each, and all that other stuff right? If the data is there, you can just install Exchange server on that NEW AD / DC and you are off and running. That's another option.

And how did a user lose their contacts? You might want to teach them how to export contacts to a CSV file, or personal data file (outlook *.pst), or synch it with their PDA, or use yahoo or google to dump it, there are at least a dozen ways to save contact info.... I can't believe they don't have even one of those covered....

It's so small, I don't care how many contacts you have it takes only 10 seconds to dump the entire thing.

Chamon
Commander
Commander

You may also be having issues if this isn't the only exchange server in your environment. This exchange server may be looking for the DC that it has its RUS set up with and may need the server containing the Exchange organization info. Can you start the exchange services?

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

I don't know what the limitations of the trial version are but Ontrack Email Recovery allows you to mount an Exchange MDB file like a PST and then access all of the users, PFs, and contents in a folders inclduing Contacts. I used the paid version and restored 2 years worth of Exchange restores at my previous job:

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-downloads/#email

Can't hurt to try.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Also, I am assuming you attempted to restore these items with Outlook's Deleted Item Recovery feature?

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ttrulis
Contributor
Contributor

@Rparker - the

exchange server is not a DC. I was

thinking of using a recovery storage

group once the disk got mounted on the working Exchange box but currently that

is not the direction I am headed in. That would involve adding the vmdk to another server. I

think your suggestion is to remove the cloned DC altogether and promote the

exchange server to a DC.

I can ping the

exchange server from the DC BUT I cannot log onto the domain from the Exchange

server. It cannot see the domain. I think what I will try to do is rejoin this

mail server to the "new" domain.

@Chamon - It was not

the only Exchange server in the environment , it was one of several. I can't start the Exchange services because

as stated above I can't log onto the mail server on the domain. I can only log

on locally because it cannot find the domain.

@MattG - I will look

at the Ontrack Email Recovery - thanks.

I am not willing to spend money on a solution as this should work as

is. Also I would be recovering these

items by exmerging them to a pst.

Thanks all for your

feedback.

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

+1 for the Ontrack

I used Ontrack in the past and it is an amazing product indeed. No exmerge...., AD, DC needed

I don't think one can go far with the trial version though,

Smiley Sad

Alex

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

If you are adding it back dont remove the account from the domain just reset the exchange server account. Then all of its current info in AD will be preserved (location of the DB)

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

That would involve adding the vmdk to another server. I think your suggestion is to remove the cloned DC altogether and promote the exchange server to a DC.

Yes, that should work.

BUT I cannot log onto the domain from the Exchange server. It cannot see the domain. I think what I will try to do is rejoin this mail server to the "new" domain

Yes but you can login as the LOCAL machine NOT the domain, to do it. It won't cache the credentials.

ttrulis
Contributor
Contributor

Okay well just to follow up it looks like I am good to go here. I was able to seize FSMO roles for the cloned DC, point DNS and AD to localhost and rejoin mail server to the domain. I then needed to point the DB's in Exchange back to their original locations and copy the database on top of that. The database files were inconsistent and I ran a eseutil /p against DB that cleaned it up. Then I was to mount the RSG and point to the Information Store and pull the CEO's mailbox from it and export to PST. Now I just need to get it off internal VLAN. This is a good lesson on how to kill a mosquito with a meteor! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
ttrulis
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to solve the issue.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

This is a good lesson on how to kill a mosquito with a meteor! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Should also be a good lesson in CEO learning to backup his contacts as well. But yes I know their favorite line: "That's what I have you for".

So if this were his personal laptop, it's easier to call than to simply have a backup on hand? Yeah!

Export contacts for the win!

0 Kudos