VMware Cloud Community
aage79
Contributor
Contributor

Problems updating 3.0.2 build 50618 to 61618

I downloaded the file 'esx-upgrade-from-esx3-3.0.2-61618.tar.gz' (file is OK) and get the following error

when trying to update:

esxupdate -r -n update

INFO: Configuring...

ERROR: VMware-esx not installed (host version=None)

INFO: Sorry, but this patch cannot be installed on this host.

The same happens for all the patches as well. Anyone with information

to lead me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

What is the output of the command:

#vmware -v

Also, make sure that there are no VMs running on the ESX host, and make sure you put the ESX host into "Maintenance Mode".

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
aage79
Contributor
Contributor

vmware -v

VMware ESX Server 3.0.2 build-52542

I get the same error message, running in maintenance mode or not.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Have you confirmed that the .tar.gz file downloaded correcty by running the md5sum?

Out of curiousity, have you tried downloading the .iso? If so, were you able to successfully update using the .iso?

(I'd still like to find out what is stopping you from being able to install the tarball; I'm just asking if you have been able to upgrade via the iso for troubleshooting purposes)

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
aage79
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, the file is all good. Uncompressed without a flaw and even though I didn't check the MD5SUM; I am pretty sure it's ok. I

will surely try the ISO if that's what it takes.

0 Kudos
zhanggang
Contributor
Contributor

1. extract the gz file to location /tmp/61618

2. esxupdate esxupdate --noreboot -r file:///tmp/61618/ update

0 Kudos
aage79
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried that. No good. Today, I called technical support who recommended me to upgrade with the ISO. That worked.

With a stroke of luck, I will be able to upgrade to the next release in the future without doing so...

Thanks to everybody who tried. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos