VMware Cloud Community
Red_Squirrel
Contributor
Contributor

Prevent a VM from being migrated to another host

I will be setting up a VM that needs to talk to a serial device physically plugged into the ESX server. How do I go about making sure this VM never moves to another host through vmotion?

I think i found the setting but not sure if that's actually what it does. If I go to the cluster settings, then go to VMware DRS / Virtual MAchine Options and put "disabled" on the VM, is this how I do it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I think i found the setting but not sure if that's actually what it does. If I go to the cluster settings, then go to VMware DRS / Virtual MAchine Options and put "disabled" on the VM, is this how I do it?

that will do it!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

For DRS initiated migrations the answer is Yes. But people will still be able to manually vmotion it... there's no way to prevent this from happening as far as i know.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Instead of using disabled, use the manual setting. Setting to disabled causes constant warning messages to be sent to the logs. While manual will serve a similar purpose, and not cause those warnings.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you are right, if you put "Disable" there it will stop VMotioning your VM by DRS, But it will not stop anyone from VMotioning it manually.

I know this is not your question but i am wondering that how about using "Serial-to-Ethernet converter" for your serial device, so that you can make your VM free to VMotion.

see this ... |http://www.tysso.org/serial-ethernet/]

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can trick the VM to mount to any .flp or .iso image on CD-ROM device so it will prevent it from VMotion.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could also put the VM on local storage, that would prevent it from moving anywhere without a specific action ( storage VMotion, or cold migration )

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

local storage will be risky if the host is dead or drive failures and if this is critical server, it would be great on high performance SAN. It defeats the purpose of having ESX/SAN environment. Mount a fake .iso image 1mb file using imgburn would do the trick.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos