VMware Cloud Community
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Powervault MD3000 SAS

Hello... Does anyone know if ESX 3.5 supports this storage array? And is sufficient enough to store and run my VM off of?

Thank you, Eric

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sure does.

We use it...

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sure does.

We use it...

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh good news... Now do you have two ESX host attached to it?

0 Kudos
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We currently have 3 production ESX Servers attached via iSCSI(software), with about 60 VMs running.

We went with the 15K SAS drives - Very happy with performance!

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok... Hmm - so do you have the MD3000i then or? Because I just have the MD3000 via SAS...

Thank you - very helpful.

0 Kudos
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes we have the i, but 3.5 supports SAS so you shouldn't have any issues...

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you... What iSCSI software are you using? So you must have a server attached to the MD3000 using some type of iSCSI software?

My issue is how to have two LUNS hooked up to two ESX 3.5 servers and to vmotion....

0 Kudos
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well, for our ESX Server the iSCSI initiator is complied within the ESX OS install.

For some of our windows based serves we used the Microsoft iSCSI initiator. You can download it for free here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=12cb3c1a-15d6-4585-b385-befd1319f825&displa...

Regards,

Fil

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm.. So the initiator is installed on a windows machines - that machine is hooked via SAS to the MD3000? Then your ESX server use the initiator to connect to the iSCSI MD3000?

0 Kudos
KyawH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Heyeric,

You have to attach a Windows machine to MD3000 via SAS cables and install Microsoft iSCSI TARGET software on that Windows machine. Then from ESX servers, use buil-in iSCSI client to discover the iSCSI target from the Windows machine.

If you use MD3000i you don't need a Windows box and configure it as a iSCSI target as mentioned above. MD3000i has iSCSI targets built-in.

Typical solution for MD3000 is to hook it up with Dell's NX1950 servers (cluster) which comes with 64 bit Windows Unified Data Storage Server a long with some other nice features of VSS, Single Instance Storage (SIS) and folder level quotas and so on. But if you use this solution with ESX 3.5 it will be a complicated solution because you have so many dependencies from ESX to NX1950s to MD3000.

ESX 3.5 and MD3000i will be the prefered solution personally. If you already have bought it but not yet delivered or not yet implemented, I recommend to change it to MD3000i since the only difference is the storage controllers, everything else is the same.

Hope this answer your question.

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great! Thanks for clearing it up... Thats kind of what I thought.......

0 Kudos
KyawH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you find my post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks.

0 Kudos
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you... Helpful

0 Kudos
heyeric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes Id like to, but how? There's no button.... ?

0 Kudos