VMware Cloud Community
bwb
Contributor
Contributor

Power on virtual machine takes about 3 minutes

Hi

when i power on a VM in the VC, it last 2:45 Minutes until the Power on Task change from "Processing" to the percentage view.

VM starts in 15 seconds wich is ok, but why do i have to wait about 3 minutes until the task is starting ?

We want to set up some virtual desktops, wich go to suspend mode when user is disconnected. But the restart of these machines takes too long, because meanwhile the vmware view client runs into timeout.

Note: when i power on a VM directly on our ESX Server it takes 1:30 minutes from "Processing" to percentage view. It's faster than before but not "really" fast Smiley Wink

Thx for help,

Cheers

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Just a shot in the dark here...

How much memory did you assign to these VMs?

One of the first things that a VM does when starting up is creating a memory file on disk.. so if your VM has a lot of memory it might take a little while before it is actually powering on. Could this be your problem?

If you have a choice between slower and faster LUNs then you could use a faster LUN.. or set a lower memory requirement.

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
bwb
Contributor
Contributor

I am starting Windows XP SP3 VM with 2 GB Memory.

It's not that much, isn't it ?

And why is the VM starting faster when i power it on directly on the ESX server instead on the VC ?

0 Kudos
VMvareUpgrade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should check your ESX Host Server memory.

If you give to each VM 2 GB of memory and you don't have enough memory in your Host Server, you can get in trouble with this kind of issue.

|The Best Guy

|MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix)

|Paris-France

|The Best Guy |MSc in IT, University of Evry |MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix) |Paris-France
0 Kudos
bwb
Contributor
Contributor

The ESX Server has 24 GB memory, 4GB are in use.

So there is plenty of space...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

I am starting Windows XP SP3 VM with 2 GB Memory.

It's not that much, isn't it ?

2 GB should be fine indeed.

And why is the VM starting faster when i power it on directly on the ESX server instead on the VC ?

Interesting difference. Does the VM start normal when starting it directly from the ESX server then?

Maybe your VC database isn't properly tuned?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
bwb
Contributor
Contributor

VM is starting one minute faster when i start it on the ESX Server (please look at my first post).

I don't know what time is "normal".

Is one minute too slow or average ?

And how can i pimp my VC Database ?

Our VC is running on a physical Dell Poweredge 2850.

With 3 GB Ram, and 2,8 Ghz XEON CPU. Nothing else is running on this machine, except Windows 2003 SP2.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Well normal is relative as it depends on a few factors. For example we don't even know if you are using a SAN or local storage or iSCSI or NFS storage.

Then how many spindles you have etcetera.. depending on the data throughput it can be "OK" or just not quite right.

As for tuning the VC database.. we don't know your database engine (SQL Express? not tunable for example, SQL 2005, 2008. Oracle?)

Is your database big or small, how large is your vmware environment?? Is your VC database on DAS or a SAN?

Check this thread:

--

Wil

0 Kudos