VMware Cloud Community
AlbertChen
Contributor
Contributor

Patching using Roll-up bundle

Hello. I'm going to patch my ESX 3.0.2 for the first time and I have notice that there is roll-up bundle at the download site. I'm wondering is this roll-up bundle includes basically ALL (security + critical + general) the patches released before? I dont quite understand the description given in the summary of the roll-up bundle. Does "fixes" = "Patches" ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Were you looking at this definition of roll-up bundle for 3.0.2 : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=1006978&sliceId=1 ?

Basically it just contains bundles of patches including some that may have been superseded, it's primary user convenience so you don't need to go through each patch and manually downloading. As noted in the page, this does not provide any upgrades such as U1,U2,etc... You'll still want to make sure you baseline not only the bundle but any patches or updates after this bundle release and do some testing in a development environment if possible prior to production upgrade. ESX 3.0.2 is pretty stable build and U2 was the last build I had upgraded to prior to jumping to ESX 3.5.0, good luck.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

AlbertChen
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually referring to the roll-up bundle 2

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100841...

I have read the http://www.vmware.com/security/advisories/VMSA-2009-0005.html and understand that I need to install the patch ESX-1006980 as the solution. So I checked my esx server which has been installed with the roll-up bundle 2 and I can't find the patch mentioned earlier installed, and this puzzles me, as I thought the roll-up bundle 2 suppose to provides all the fixes for the ESX Server 3.0.2 as of January 30, 2009.

Please kindly advise. Thank you.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Even though I don't have a 3.0.2 system to test, I downloaded the rollup and you're correct the patch in question ESX-1006980 is not available, but while using my search bar in my MAC, I realized that the contents.xml contains a reference to the patch

<folder bundleID="ESX-1006980" name="ESX-1006980" />

There's a potential that one of the sub-patches may have superseded the on in question, one of the nice things is if you try to install a patch that is already installed or has been superseded, it will not work. I think it should be safe to manually download the patch and try to update and see if it allows you to. It'll either work, meaning it was not included int he Rollup-2 or fail stating it's been superseded already.

I assume you're also aware of the self-serve patch portal: http://support.vmware.com/selfsupport/download/ Also you can take a look at VMware Update Manager so you don't need to manually check for dependencies/etc. Just need to create a baseline and do some testing and then apply that baseline across your hosts. I've not used VUM personally myself, but I heard it's decent. I'm sort of skeptical because the actual patch management system is licensed by Shavlik and I've had some bad experiences with their Windows update products in a previous lab I've worked at before, so hopefully their product has improved.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
AlbertChen
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply again, much appreciated.

Initially I have thought that the patch had been superseeded also but I did some checking and don't think it's being superceeded by any later patch. I have downloaded the patch and push it into my development, and it went in, but looks a bit weird thou. This is the outcome,

INFO: Configuring...INFO: Preparing to install ...INFO: Checking disk space and running

test transaction...INFO: --- TOTALS: 0 packages installed,

0 pending or failed, 0 removed, 0 excluded ---INFO: Install of succeeded.[root@SVS12345 upgrade]# esxupdate

-l query | grep 1006980 ESX-1006980

12:39:27 04/16/09 Update to vmkernel for IBM svc controlle

AM able to see the patch in the list after installed,

Thank you.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good to hear and it looks like you verified it installed okay afterwards.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
AlbertChen
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advices again!!!

0 Kudos