Jump to solution

One VM use extreme I/O and reduce performance of the other VM

Dear all,

here my esx config :

esx 3.0.1

Tyan VX50 with 4x880 opterons

16 go ram

Adaptec S2820SA with 8 SATA DISK in RAID 5EE

3 VM : Windows server 2003 R2 64bits (Domain controller), Windows 2000 server (sql 2000) and windows 2003 standard R2 ( Terminal server / applications)

When the backup of the night is finish (finish at 9:00...) the sql database is updated and use a lot of I/O during a lot of time.

During this time, the performance on the Terminal server (7 users for now but will upgrade to 25 users) is poor/horrible.

I don't know what to do, because the next VM will be a exchange 2007 and i think it will be worst in the I/O.

What is for you the best solution ?

- Destroy the raid 5 , reinstall everything on multiple raid1 ? (1 raid1 by machine...? Esx supports that?)

- Add an external hard disk system where i can move the sql or the tse vm ?

- others ideas?

Thanks for your help.

ToF

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jp-H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi radeontof,

Unfortunately, RAID 5 is not the fastest system for high I/O activity.

Can you isolate the VM using a lot of I/O in a separate datastore -and/or- disk controler ?

To have a maximum speed, it is a good idea to separate VM on multiple datastores. for example 1 or 2 VM by datastore if possible.

In fact each volume (RAID 1 for example) can be a separate VMFS datastore. Then you can create each VM in a datastore if you want.

If you put a lot of VM in a unique datastore, all the I/O of all the VM are added to access this datastore. It seems to be your problem.

Another possibility is to add another controler to separate I/Os. Each controler can manage a volume.

Is there any RAM in your controler ? caching I/Os is also a good solution.

You have a lot of solutions, all depends of your hardware, and how you want to manage it.

Good luck !

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jp-H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi radeontof,

Unfortunately, RAID 5 is not the fastest system for high I/O activity.

Can you isolate the VM using a lot of I/O in a separate datastore -and/or- disk controler ?

To have a maximum speed, it is a good idea to separate VM on multiple datastores. for example 1 or 2 VM by datastore if possible.

In fact each volume (RAID 1 for example) can be a separate VMFS datastore. Then you can create each VM in a datastore if you want.

If you put a lot of VM in a unique datastore, all the I/O of all the VM are added to access this datastore. It seems to be your problem.

Another possibility is to add another controler to separate I/Os. Each controler can manage a volume.

Is there any RAM in your controler ? caching I/Os is also a good solution.

You have a lot of solutions, all depends of your hardware, and how you want to manage it.

Good luck !

0 Kudos
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can make a RAID1 for SQL VM and RAID 5 for the others. How many I/O are the SQL VM using?

EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With your windows 2000 SQL server.

If you upgrade to windows 2003 and SQL 2000 SP4 then upgrade your VMware tools your resource utilization should improve.

I experienced similiar issues with systems running DB2 / SQL on Windows 2000 (and 2000 advanced).

What you can also try doing is setting up a strict resource policy for the DB server.

radeontof
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for your answer.

For now, i have only one controller in the server. I think i will use the multiple raid1 solution to have multiple datastore.

For the reinstall, i need to reinstall anything ? Can i zip all my vmfs, move using winscp to a windows hard drive, reinstall the esx server (can i put directly the 3.0.2 now, or upgrade after ?) , create the datastores then.... unzip my vmfs on differents datastore, attach all the vmfs....and start everything...

I know it's a lot of question but i'm novice in the vmware and don't want to do mistakes!

Thanks.

0 Kudos