VMware Cloud Community
jhunter11
Contributor
Contributor

Observed IP Ranges blank

We plugged one of our ESX hosts into a switch and the observed ip range came up correctly. We realized the port on the switch was on the wrong VLAN, so we brought the port down, changed the VLAN on the switch and brought the port back up and now the observed IP range is blank.

Does ESX somehow remember the first network it say and saved it or cached it somewhere and now unless that port is on the original VLAN, it won't work?

Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks for your help!

James

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

You wont see the observed range untill traffic passes through the pNIC as far as I know.

Also do you have the correct VLAN ID on the portgroup now?

Message was edited by: Chamon

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

It shouldn't cache it, however I find that sometimes it takes a little while for the observed range to show up. Other then not seeing the observed range, is it working?

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
jhunter11
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a quick clarification:

We just reconfigured the port on the switch to the original VLAN it was on when the cable was plugged in. Once we do that, the Observed IP Ranges comes up and finds the correct range and works like it's supposed to. However, if we take the port on the switch down and simply change the VLAN on the port, ESX doesn't work. That's why it makes me think it saves or caches it somehow? Maybe?

Bradley, if we do set it up how it should be working where the Observed IP Ranges is blank, it doesn't work. SO, it's not like it's just not showing up but it's still working.

Chamon, we tried specifying the VLAN on the port group as well and that does not work either.

Any other ideas?

James

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

can we get a screenshot of your network config?

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
jhunter11
Contributor
Contributor

The screenshot through VI Client? Or some other way? Clarify what you mean and I would be happy too, thanks!

James

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

That or from the service console.

also does your /etc/resolve.conf have the correct DNS servers listed in it?

esxcfg-vswitch -l

and

esxcfg-vswif -l

Sorry etc/resolv.conf no "e"

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Can you post a screenshot of your vSwitch config? If you can what VLAN are you trying to use? Are there multiple VLANs going through the same port on the physical switch?

How are you testing the conectivity after you change the VLAN? Is this for the service console? If so when you change the VLAN are you also changing the SC DGW and Ip address to the correct network?

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Can you post the results of

esxcfg-vswitch -l

and esxcfg-vswif -l (if this is for the SC port group)

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Point taken. Some people do post them though.

0 Kudos
jhunter11
Contributor
Contributor

# esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch0 64 8 64 1500 vmnic0

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VM Test Inside 0 4 vmnic0

Service Console 0 1 vmnic0

vSwitch1 64 6 64 1500 vmnic1

VM Test DMZ 0 3 vmnic1

vSwitch2 64 4 64 1500 vmnic3

Service Console 2 0 1 vmnic3

vSwitch3 64 4 64 1500 vmnic2

VM Prod DMZ 0 1 vmnic2

# esxcfg-vswif -l

Name Port Group IP Address Netmask Broadcast Enabled DHCP

vswif0 Service Console 10.3.5.112 255.255.255.0 10.3.5.255 true false

vswif1 Service Console 2 10.3.5.122 255.255.255.0 10.3.5.255 true false

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

A couple of things. Why do you have the 2 SC with the same IP addresses (sorry I see they have different IP now) on two different vSwiches with different NICs. A better way if you want redundancy for your SC is to attach the vmnic0 and vmnic3 to the same Vswitch. Then you will get the physical redundancy you may be looking for. If you need different subnet's to the vSwitch you can break them out with the VLAN IDs and ethertrunking on your pSwitch. If you have 2 SC you would want them to have different IP addresses and would usually have them on different networks.

Is the VLAN 1 the native VLAN on your physical switch? If it is you should either change the VLAN for your SC to something different or the native VLAN on your pSwitch to something else.

0 Kudos
jhunter11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chamon,

My two SC do have different IP address. 10.3.5.112 and 10.3.5.122. (I just saw that you saw that now :P) You suggest moving vmnic0 (which has a SC and 4 VMs) and vmnic3 (which has a SC) to the same virtual switch? How will that improve the redundancy? They are both going through different physical nics which are in turn going to different physical switches. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

VLAN 1 is the native VLAN on the physical switch. Why do I need to change the VLAN for the SC to something different?

Anyways, did the stuff I posed shed any light on why ESX can see one VLAN and the Observed IP Ranges within it and not the other one on the same port on the physical switch? Any ideas? Thanks!

James

0 Kudos
polysulfide
Expert
Expert

service mgmt-vmware restart on a host should make it clear any VC cache. Try that on one host and then you'll know if its a VC cache issue or something else.

If it was useful, give me credit

Jason White - VCP

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Take a look at page 8 on this pdf about the native vlan

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_vlan_wp.pdf

What I mean is at the server level you will still have 2 NIC for use by the SC if you only have one SC on a vswitch with multiple pNICs.

Which Port are you changing when it works? The one connected to vmnic0 or vmnic3? Can you access both SC after you change the VLAN on the pSwitch port?

0 Kudos