VMware Cloud Community
PankajRathor
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to access ESX 3.0 Server

Hi Guys.. I've installed a ESX 3.0 Server . Its pinging and am able to putty my ESX, but not able to access using either VI or webAccess. If i am trying trough web getting error " Page cannot display" if through VI or trying to add in VC ,getting error "Unable to access the specified host, it either does not exist, the server is not responding or there is a network problem " . I have also a SAN Storage in same Class IP address it's Pinging & able access through Web Page But not ESX.. I have checked the Firewall Smiley Happy no Port Blocking there........Please help

0 Kudos
11 Replies
norregaard
Expert
Expert

Just for troubleshooting purposes: Can you get acces to the host if you connect on port 902?

You can test this from a cmd-prompt: telnet 'ip-of-host' 902

0 Kudos
PankajRathor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dear,

thnkx for the replying...yes i was already tryied to open telnet on port 902, it shows like that "220 VMware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10: SSL Required, ServerDaemonProtoco l:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC" and nothng else..still not abel to excess through web page. plz help me out

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

what about if you try the same for port 443?

0 Kudos
amittul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this

Restart the management services.

1. service mgmt-vmware restart

1. service vmware-webAccess restart

If the problem persists, edit the hosts file.

1. type: vi /etc/hosts

2. Press Enter.

3. From the editor, press i

4. Modify the file to resemble the following sample:

1. Do not remove the following line, or various programs

1. that require network functionality will fail.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

192.168.0.100 hostname.domain.com hostname

5. Press ESC.

6. Type wq! Press Enter.

7. Type service vmware-webAccess restart . Press Enter.

see if you can connect to Web Access

0 Kudos
PankajRathor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Amit

I have tried all the things but problem has been same, while axcess through web acess, it goes to internet automatically. while my another openSAN storage is workjing in wen browser..

& Through Telnet probem han been Same >>>>>Connecting To 192.168.1.200...Could not open connection to the host, on port 443

: Connect failed

Help me out guys:-(

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

somewehere you have a firewall blocking on port 443. your port 902 works fine which means that you can connect to your ESX with the VI client but you won't be able to acces via WEB ssl on port 443.

0 Kudos
PankajRathor
Contributor
Contributor

No dear,

I am also not able to excess through VI client.

0 Kudos
amittul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pankaj,

For connecting to Vi we need 903 port open

For Web access we need 443 port to be open

Can you please send me the output of the commands

1. esxcfg-firewall -q

Just a quick - have you restarted the host ones after installation and checked .

Also send me the out put of command

1. df -h

0 Kudos
PankajRathor
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Amit, thnkx for the cmd"luk into the below result of both the command.

# esxcfg-firewall -q Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 190 packets, 14653 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 200 packets, 25136 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Incoming and outgoing ports blocked by default. Enabled services: CIMSLP CIMHttpsServer vpxHeartbeats AAMClient LicenseClient ss hServer CIMHttpServer

Opened ports:

#

# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 3.7G 1.6G 2.0G 45% / /dev/sda1 97M 30M 62M 33% /boot none 131M 0 131M 0% /dev/shm /dev/sda6 1.1G 38M 1017M 4% /var/log #

0 Kudos
amittul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stop the Firewall on esx server and see if you are able to connect ..

• Service firewall stop

• service mgmt-vmware restart

or

esxcfg-firewall -allowOutgoing

esxcfg-firewall -allowIncoming

See if that works...

Please also confirm me about SSL Cert. installed

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Pankaj,

To understand the issue more, have you made any chages in the ESX server after installation.

Can you also let me know if you have made any network configuration changes?

And on the first try can you try to restar the hostd.

check :

service mgmt-vmware status, I know you have restarted the service, but this might be stopiing on background, so check the status.

also, service vmware-vpxa status, if the server has this, this service usually comes after adding the server to VC.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos