VMware Cloud Community
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

No vms listed on host but vm shows on that host from cluster view

Hey Guys,

Has anyone ever gone to the host and looked at virtual machines tab, and saw nothing, but then when you go to the cluster tab and list vms you can see that sure enough there is one vm on that host?

I was trying to enter maintenance mode and the host wouldn't enter, it just sat there at 2%. In the summary tab I saw that there was 1 vm, but couldn't see it.

Once I discovered it from the cluster view, I migrated it off of the host and everything worked like a champ going forward. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and or knows why it happened?

Respectfully,

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I've witnessed it once, restarting the vCenter service and "service mgmt-vmware restart". Also had this problem once and even vmware-cmd -l didn't list a VM on the host. But the VM's were still on the host, which was kind of a suprise when the host was rebooted.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

You and I thought about this from different perspectives, from the cluster view on the virtual machine tab I migrated the vm from there to another host.

Yesterday I Storage vmotioned a vm off of a lun, once that task completed, the storage showed 12 gigs of usage, but if you looked at the lun from the gui, from Putty nothing was there. I tried to move a big vm to that lun, but the task errored saying that there was not enough space.

To solve this, I added a hard drive to a help vm from that space, then deleted that hard drive and everything went back to normal!

Anyone see that before?

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

It sounds almost like the task did not get updated. How long after the task were you checking? Are you sure the storage vMotion task finished correctly? I have seen when a storage vMotion task fail and I have vmdk files spread across multiple luns that I had to co back and correct

Steve Beaver

VMware vExpert 2009

====

Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Come check out my blog: www.theVirtualBlackHole.com

Come follow me on twitter

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

Hey Steve,

Yeah between 10 and 15 minutes afterwards. I don't remember if the task complete successfully or not, but the files that were moved were only 1 vm with 1 hard drive, and when I was checking things, I saw that indeed the files had moved.

I think you are right though, probably the task never checked back afterwards and said, "Hey, I am done."

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

. I don't remember if the task complete successfully or not that could make a different if you don't know if the task is completed or hung up and usually restart the vC services would clear it up but then has to verify the integrity of the image. What Storage VMotion plugin did you use? I'm using Andrew Kutz freebies from www.lostcreation.com which is pretty good tools.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
anatanotenshi
Contributor
Contributor

I saw something similar with VI 3, ESX 3.5 with no update. Making modifications to the host directly didn't reflect those changes at VC. Seems like a bug in DB synchronization. I even deleted some VMs, again on the host and they still appeared at VC. I started to get a lot of fatal errors, so removed them from VC and got an Orphan VM folder at "Virtual Machines & Templates" view with them inside, which I finally deleted.

Very strange.

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

Kaizen!Hey Anatanotenshi,

To be fair, I think you might be looking at apples while we are looking at oranges. My understanding is that you shouldn't run from the host because it can create disparities between the host and VCenter.

I didn't do that, I always go directly through the VC.

Respectfully,

Matthew

Stephan, I think I am using the same plugin lost creations.

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

You are using the same plugin

Steve Beaver
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos